DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

The change in SS direction is damned annoying when you are using two cameras at the same time. The whole thing could have been sorted from the start by reversing the pointy direction of the little red triangles in the VF so that all Leica cameras where consistent. Not the neatest solution but more practical I think.

Could be worse other manufacturers just change the complete layout of thier cameras every time they bring out a new model. At least with Leica you don't have to troll through yet another telephone directory sized operators manual every time you buy a new camera.

Dear Craig,

The LEDs are one of the reasons I will not buy the M7.

Regards,

Justin

Craig-
Reversing the meter arrows wouldn't help...they would then be in opposition to the aperture ring instead of the shutter speed dial.

David

Yes of course you are right.

Forgot that rather important point, probably because I tend to set the ap. to the DoF I need and then fix the SS for the correct exposure. Lucky I just use 'em and not design 'em.

Craig wrote:
The SS dial on the MP is the correct size not itty bitty, and it rotates in the proper direction.

Craig, you're starting to sound like me when I try to justify my Harleys to my sport bike buddies :) Tradition is a good thing. I should have respected that. I'm a newbie with a new M6TTL. I have to admit that MP was a very nice machine...
Jeff in Colorado (three more weeks)

>Shutter speed direction change in M6TTL. The arrows could have been changed to coincide with the old SS dial. But don't forget that the arrows are correct for adjusting the f/stop ring! I believe that Leica's choice was the best thought out. Now you can buy a model with the SS dial configured as you wish.

Dirk,

The MP is functionally an M6. But it's like the early M's (film rewind is like theirs). Leica was clearly going for the retro look (i.e. nostalgia). It is also - perhaps - a corporate safety net in case the M7 doesn't do well in the long run. I don't think they want to leave themselves in the same position they did with the M5...no alternative.

I looked at a new MP the other day at Foto Care in NYC, and it was beautiful. This is a camera I'd never forgive myself for scratching - that plus the high price (about $2,500) are enough to keep me from even thinking about it. The sales rep had to pry it from my hand though.

> The MP is such a great camera that I swapped my F5, an SB28 and a few Prime AIS lenses for it. Not an ounce of remorse! The first full weekend with the MP I shot more film than I had with the F5 in a year.

> I've said it before re the MP and I'll say it again. Leica is to be congratulated for producing such a wonderful ex&le of precision mechanical craftsmanship, especially in this throwaway plasticky age of impermanence. I still think the M3 is brilliant, but if I needed a new M I would definitely look very hard indeed at the MP.

Jon Stanton wrote

"The MP is such a great camera that I swapped my F5, an SB28 and a few Prime AIS lenses for it. Not an ounce of remorse! The first full weekend with the MP I shot more film than I had with the F5 in a year."

Please don't take this as patronising, but congratulations; if I owned an F5 I'd do exactly the same. Last time I tried to use one I came within inches of belting the stupid thing around a tree, never had that urge with an M. I haven't seen the MP yet but when I do I just know I'll send myself broke.

Sorry David but I must agree with your sentiments yet again.

Jon and other lucky owners have fun with the MP and let us know hows it's progressing. Please somebody post some bad reports on this camera (the one I have not yet seen) so that my irrational lust for it can be defrayed somewhat.

craig

Back