DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Bokeh Good or Bad

Interesting, my other immediate thought is that it might have been Reala. I'll take your word for it on the 180/2.8, I know from the many images I've seen that Leica know how to make a lens with very fine bokeh when they want to, and the unusual provenance of the f/3.4 lens explains it's unusally poor performance there. It would be interesting to compare the 180/2.8 against my Canon 200/1.8 in terms of bokeh, I'm very happy with mine in that department.

Mike, as you know, the Canon 200/1.8 is one of the best lenses in the world. It is interesting that I owned and used both the Leica 180/2.8 APO and the Canon at the same time. They are actually quite similar in many charactistics. The Leica got more use due to the back breaking size of the Canon...but I did like shooting with that big white beast...nothing short of creamy Bokeh.

A picture is worth more than a 1000 words! There are many people on the forum with different N mount lenses. Can someon put ex&le pictures with the different zooms to show how the bokeh of each lens are? Mainly 50/1.4 85/1.4, 80-200 and 80-300 and also the macro planner 100. Plea..se.

> the back breaking size of the Canon

No kidding! It's certainly not a lens that you want in the kit bag alongside anything else heavy. It also seems like sacrilege not to tripod-mount it. For that reason I haven't had the chance to use it for a while, because Really Right Stuff have had the mounting foot in order to make an Arca-Swiss type replacement foot for it. I just got it back last week, and I'm looking forward to giving the lens a real workout over the next few weeks.

BTW, I should add that RRS have done a superb job of the new foot, and were kind enough to supply one for free in return for the loan of the original foot for use as a pattern. I'm most impressed with their products and services.

-= mike =-

Raj,

Go to the regular gallery, there are a number of ex&les from lots of different N lenses.

In my portfolio I have quite a few ex&les of the 50, 85, 24-85 and 70-300 wide open. Look for the image of a gold cat titled "fraidy cat" ...it shows the excellent Bokeh of the 85mm/1.4 N. There are lot of others there also.

>=20 >=20 >=20 > [Anyone has more information about Canon=B9s next pro-digital camera? Beli= eved > to be a 15MB full-size CMOS base on existing 1Ds body platform?? Kaisern= ] >=20 >=20 >=20

Back