DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Summicron 50mm vs Noctilux

G

I currently own a newer Noctilux and love it, but it's heavy, big, bulky and doesn't produce the contrast I get with my Summilux 35mm. I've been considering a new Summicron 50mm as a lite travel lens. For those with experience with both lenses, please advise me. Thanks

> [If you are used to a 35mm lens as your normal lens, the Summicron 50mm will never do. Stick with a 35, but

if you want an f2, try the 40mm Summicron. Small, light, super sharp,

Jerry

>

> I've been considering a new Summicron 50mm as a lite travel > lens. For those with experience with both lenses, please advise me. Thanks =================================================================

Although I prefer having a seperate lens shade, any of the Summicrons will fill your need. I have both the 35 and 50 Summiluxes and both the 35 and 50 Summicrons. All provide excellent images but I use the 35 and 50 Summicrons more often now. The smaller size and common filter size are both pluses. There are many who will argue about which lens model is superior and reasons why. The only thing that REALLY matters is if you are satisfied with the results.

Barry,
The Noctilux a superbe lens, expecially for real aviable light photography.
For general purposes and if you like a high contrasty lens with razor sharpness the Summicron is a great lens.
I own and use each two, and very often I use them like a combo on two different bodies. But consider that I shoot 98% with a 50mm standard lens.

Take the Summicron and enjoy,
Stefano.

P.S. Barry I don't think the Noctilux has to be considered on the constrasty side. It simply isn't made for. The point of the Noctilux stays in its out of focus performances and in it's capability of master high differences of light.
It's only my humble opionion, don't worry about it.
Regards,
Stefano.

[Stefano, Oh I agree entirely. The Noctilux should be judged not only by what is = in focus, wide-open, but what isn't in focus. And here lower contrast is = just beautiful.

I partially bought the Summicron because of its famous clarity and = contrast. I do exclusively B&W and my 35mm Summilux gives me that crisp = contrast. The 50mm Summicron should give me what I need in a normal = focal length lens.

Thanks again for your advice.

Barry]

[Thanks, Stefano.

I went ahead and purchased a Summicron, but haven't processed my film = yet.

I love the Noctilux and have used it as you suggest, but it is big and = heavy, and I don't have a UV protective filter on the lens, because = Leica recommends against it. Since I don't have a protective filter, I = feel pretty vunerable just shooting away with it.

So, I'll let you know what my experiences are with both lenses.

Thanks for your advice.

Barry]

Barry;

I think you did the right thing in purchasing the 5omm Summicron. Even tho' it's the same focal length as the Noctilux, as the above posts mention, then Noctilux is really for a different purpose (wide open).

I have an older model Noctilux(separate hood) that I love, but in truth, I rarely use it. The 50mm Summicron, on the other hand, is what I use 9 out of 10 times.

I have the current Summicron, and find its barrel action to be the smoother & lighter than the previous model (same optics, different barrel). I missed not having a handle, so I had Reinhold Mueller attach a handle.

Regarding not using a UV filter - yeah, I have to agree in leaving it off. For years I used one to protect all my Leica lenses. Like you, I feel vulnerable without one.

However, I've had some heart-breaking incidents where I'll have a shot I really love, and the filter caused a merciless flare. I experimented recently with the 90 ASPH in bright sunlight, with and without a UV filter (a top quality Rodenstock). The flare with the UV filter on, even with the shade deployed, was shockingly visible. So, no more UV filter for me, unless I absolutely need it (e.g., salt spray, at a beach, etc).

Marco

> [Talking about filters, expecially with high speed lenses, same experience as discribed upon. If it's true that without a filter the lens is vulnerable, the results with a filter on is terrible.]

[Thanks Marco and Stefano.=20 Marco, please tell me more about how and where I can have a focusing = handle attached to the Summicron. I love the focusing tab on my 35mm = Summilux.

Do you recommend that I not have a filter on any of my lens, except when = they might be exposed to harsh elements?

Regards, Barry]

Back