DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

RAW Developer revisited

pls hurry up and finish the beta.

PS
i hope contax learns a little bit about the software engineering, UI and requirements

Don't worry Mehrdad it's coming.... but not to satisfy Contax users as much as they have to add the Canon 1D MKII quickly as it is about to ship here in the US (not to mention add other cameras like the Nikon D70).

We are damned lucky that Greg (Al) Larson got Adobe to include our obscure camera in this new version of the Adobe RAW developer. All ND owners owe him big time.

Three cheers for Mr. Larson !

Now I have a question for all ND users.

I am getting a thin magenta colored line in my RAW files. I do not get this if I shoot Tiff or J-Peg files. The line is in the same place in every shot, but more noticeable in the lighter areas while just about disappearing in darker areas. Anyone else experiencing this?

Marc-

Can you post a test shot of a photo with the magenta line(maybe photoshop an arrow to point it out)? Thanks.

Here it is Greg. This is a crop from a shot of a room.

The line extends about 1/3 of the way into the image in RAW only. Tiff and J-Peg shows no signs of it.

Notice how it disappears into the mid or dark tones?

200250.jpg

Marc-

Whoa. I have my ND with me today and I will mess with it to see what I get. I have not noticed it in any of my images. You should let Thomas know asap also. Hopefully it is the plugin and not your camera!

Marc, maybe it is a combination of your particular camera and this version of Adobe RAW Converter. I have developed tons of images with the version 2.25 converter and has seen nothing like it at any ISO.

Irakly, I think we saw this from my camera in the past when we were fooling around with it. I used the Contax RAW developer so infrequently that it may have always been there from the beginning.

It never shows up in the Tiff files, so I don't get it.

Whilst I have emailed Marc directly with my suspicions as to the cause of his ‘line’ I now realise that my comments to him might benefit a wider audience.

I had a similar experience when moving to raw image processing. In my case I kept getting two lines which varied in apparent length and colour but remained in the same relative positions on the frame. The problem occurred with Contax’s raw developer and SharpRaw. Duane DeSieno, the author of SharpRaw, analysed a raw image I sent him and confirmed a hardware fault.

The problem is caused by dead pixels on the CCD. This is, I have come to believe, a ‘known’ problem associated with early chip production. Contax replaced my ND body.

The message is clear. Anyone with a ND is well advised to analyse an occasional raw image to ensure that their CCD is working properly. Tiff and jpeg images use algorithms which mask the problem.

Bas

Back