DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Nikonbs new lens mount system General Discussion

"...So now we will have a film lens mount and a digital lens mount?.."

I do not think that it will be separated into film mount and digital mount, because they write in this article that there will be also a new digital camera with the old mount this year (6MP and cheaper than the D100).

IMHO Nikon will launch this new lens mount as an alternative for those who would like to have it - or new Nikon customers, who just start buying their Nikon equipment.

But over the long run (5-10 years) I doubt that there will be 2 different lens mounts at the same time. At the end of the day, the costumer is deciding this. If the sales numbers of the old one will still outperform the new one, Nikon will definitely not remove the old one.

And because it is impossible to offer from day 1 a huge lens range for a new lens mount, they are forced to offer both at the same time - at least in the first 2 years. The stock of the old one will also not be that fast sold out
happy.gif

So there is no reason to worry for the old mount
happy.gif

Dirk

"...but does the ND have these issues with it's lens mount and using wide angle lenses?..."

Good question. I have not heard yet anything negative from the ND users at contaxinfo.com in this respect. But it is difficult to tell, I think.

If someone is using for exmaple the new N2.8/17-35 in position 17, it is hard to tell what is the "fault" of the lens and what the chip/ mount design.

But at Contaxinfo.com there is a huge thread about the ND with many ND owners. Maybe it might make sense to ask them. Maybe there are some of them also members here...

Dirk

Surely the current F-mount is not capable to handle full-frame sensors with the current lenses. I think Contax ND and Canon EOS 1Ds are just over this treshold, but maybe the open 4/3 system will be the ideal solution. Notwithstanding, Kodak pressed forward with the DCS Pro 14N with Nikon F-mount and a full frame CMOS. The issues are obvious, and Kodak tries to overcome them by a software solution: the camera's menu system has an option "Lens Optimization" which requires the selection of 1) Auto 2) Type1 3) Type2 4) Type3. These are obviously various digitally applied center-filters that try to eliminate the vignetting in the case of wide-angle lenses where the rear lens-element projects light to the edges of the sensor in a too flat angle. But... in the case of certain wide-range zooms this setting should be different in the wide-angle, in the medium, and in the long tele settings. (by the way these zoom lenses are anyhow poor enough quality to supply &le resolution to a high-megapixel sensor...) In real-life situation no one will bother to adjust this... so there is often a very serious compromise... Nikon could have followed various paths out of this. Maybe the bigger mount is not the best one, maybe they know better... It will be interesting to witness what follows. And, as far as possible, to keep hold on any investment...

Cheers, Willy

This whole issue about a new lens mount come down to just a couple of issues that are driving it.

1. Nikon users who desire to have a full frame digital sensor.

2. Nikon's need to offer a 10+ mega-pixel camera that is competitive with the current Canon offering and avoid any increase in digital noise.

3. The need to overcome the optical restrictions of the current CCD designs.

I currently use the D100 and like the 2/3's sensor. I like the concept of using a 400mm focal length lens and receiving an image that appears to have been taken with a 600mm lens. At sixty years of age I do not seek out the opportunity to carry additional weight other than around my waist and as a result of being well fed. The 4/3's sensor would also require a lens mount change so I would not favor that solution. (The 4/3's sensor requires interchangeability with other manufactures bodies and lenses.) Really not smart for a company that sells quality products in a price sensitive market.

I would not object to the new mount if it were made backward compatible with the Nikon F mount through the use of a "reasonably priced" adapter. This could be a real challenge, not making it just keeping the price down.

A larger lens mount would have a few other impacts. Lens may become heavier. The larger mount may offer the opportunity to improve the performance of new lenses when used with film.

Ed Tyler
Edtylerinc.com

I just got off the phone with a Nikon representative that assured me the rumors of the death of the Nikon F lens mount are, as stated by Mark Twain of his own death, greatly exaggerated. Further discussion indicated that Nikon is fully committed to cameras and lenses that produced images of high technical quality and that we could look forward to some interesting announcements over the next few months.

My interpretation of his comments would lead me to believe that Nikon is fully committed to the 2/3 sensor and that their development efforts are focused on the 2/3 image sensor platform.

All of that being said, "no new product is real until you have it in one hand and a receipt for it in the other!"

Ed

Ed,

nobody was talking about the death of the old system. It was clearly stated that it is an ADDITION to the old system, NOT a replacement (according to Color Foto)

According to my Nikon Contact, they are not even considering a new mount. As has been noted here there are a number of optical issues to overcome to develop a full frame CCD camera. There equally daunting issues to overcome for a 2/3rd sensor over 10 mega-pixels. Nikon is dedicated to the 2/3rd rout for the present.

For me they are all just tools, I only hope that I can continue to afford them.

Ed

"Color Foto is a highly regarded, very conservative German photomagazine."

Well, I have a subscription on Color Foto, and the part I like the least about it is their reporting on new stuff. Usually very conservative indeed, i.e., they only print news 1.5 months after the official press release.

The last time they blew it is where they really lost any credibility with me regarding reporting of news. Their November 2002 issue (appearing mid October) reported on the new Hasselblad H1 system that was to be introduced at the Photokina. As they stated that the "rumours" were that this was done together with Fujim they showed an artist impression (drawing) of the camera. It looked like the Fuji 6x4.5 rangefinders. Needless to say, the H1 looks very different. But the key point here is that this issue mid October appeared 3 weeks after the Photokina opened its door. I learn two things about this:
1) they are really slow in their workflow that they could not update the magazine before it printed.
2) they based their article on rumours, but the source of those rumours was very inaccurate, if one looks how they reported on it.

So for me, their reporting based on rumours is worth absolutely nothing. But time will tell what the truth really is.

The below is the response we received on the Nikonians group forumn,

>HI

>Ok, everyone take a deep breath...

>Here you go:

>"Nikon is not planning on changing the >standard "F" mount on new cameras."

>Let me shout that out a little louder:

>"NIKON IS NOT PLANNING ON CHANGING THE >STANDARD "F" MOUNT ON NEW CAMERAS."

>We were told that you couldn't do AF with >the "small" "F" mount, but we did.
>We were told that you couldn't have internal >focusing, but we did.
>We were told that you couldn't have "AF-S" >focusing in the "F," but we did.
>We were told that you couldn't get extreme wide >angle, but we did.
>Clearly the current lens mount system works and >it would be silly for us to alienate 50 years >of lens purchasers. Hope this is clear!

>-David

>-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>David Dentry
>Manager, Technical Information, Digital >Products
>Nikon USA

Back