DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What UV and Circ Pol to use for 1224mm

Hi!
You are referring at original Nikon AF-S 12-24mm f/4
I guess; well, it takes 77mm thread.
I bought a great "Slim" genuine Nikon CPL II 77mm (Circular Polarizing Filter); I use it on other lenses, though.

Fitting Cir Pol on Wide, Filter's mounting-ring must be very thin ("slim") keeping its glass closest to the objectiv's frontal-lens, to avoid "vignetting" in picture.
Besides, an heavier mounting-ring would form an obstacle to the widest rays; by that, the corners of the picture would result as black-rounded at all, like if the pic is taken through (from inside) a tube (yet, this may be a desired effect, sometimes!).

In this "slim" version, the first mounting-ring is 3-4 mm only, in thickness.
But I am not aware using it on a such 12mm wide Focal-length; I successfully used it up to 20mm widing.

However, I do not think either Nikon or other brands make any better type of Cir Pol, at now.
Nikon makes some special ones for COOLPIX Digital (not-SLR/single-lens) Cameras, like FF-CP10 CPL Filter; but it is 48 mm thread (size) only, allowed to COOLPIX 8400.
The largest size required in COOLPIX System, would be 72mm by the WC-E63 Wide Angle Adapter; so, it takes filters among any 72mm common ones, yet; no special product worked out.

Instead, they declare regarding
Using Filters with Nikon 10.5 mm DX Lens
(a shorter than Your 12mm Focal-length):
"Due to the extreme wide angle of view of the Nikon 10.5mm DX lens, filters cannot be attached to the front of the lens as per a regular lens. Instead Nikon has provided a gelatin filter holder at the rear of the lens allowing the use of filters without causing vignetting."

Since they did not constructed any rear Filter-holder on 12-24mm Lens (is is so?), I think this Objectiv works well with the Cir Pol NIKON CPL II 77mm ("II"="Slim Version").
Sorry, I did not find any pic of the filter to do attachment here.

Greetings.

Back