DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica 2135 Variohow good

I have been using the Leica 21-35 for some months now and find it a really good lens for this range. As always, the Leica is designed for super performance to the corners and wide open apertures. An alternative is the CZ 21 2.8 which beats all the wides and a CX 35 1.4. If you don't mind changing lenses these primes will give at least as good performance as the Leica 21-35.

459501.jpg

This one is included for reference only. The lens is CZ 21 2.8 with tripod. The image should be viewed in Adobe RBG colour space. I took this when I was in holiday.

The CZ 21 is the corner rez king. It does flare a bit, but otherwise ...

While I cannot comment on the C/Y 21/2.8 ( I haven't owned one for about 8 years ), I can relate experiences with the Leica 21-35 R Zoom per the question asked by Steve...

I use this lens on a Leica R9 with DMR digital back. The DMR creates a 1.37X crop factor which limits this lens to a a 28 to 48 mm equivalent. This effects the perception of both the distortion and vignetting because the part of the photo usually most effected by these issues is cropped off ... but not all of it when shooting at the 21mm end.

My perception based on actual application is that this lens is one of the best W/A zooms I've used to date ... outperforming any of my Canon wide angle primes, and any Zeiss W/A zoom including my previous 17-35/2.8 N.

It has the least barrel distortion I've seen on a lens this wide... better corrected in his regard at 21mm than my Canon 35L. Chromatic Aberrations are at a minimum including areas toward the edges when bright back-light butts up against a silhouetted hard edge.

Very crisp, and exhibits resolving power to the most minute detail right out to the edges (again the edge is a cropped in one in these cases due to the DMR sensor size). On the DMR it provides almost the exact focal length needed for my wedding work ... where a 21 mm creates too much "edge pull" to shoot people with (28mm being just about the threshold for such shots).

I often use this lens to show all inclusive shots of a wedding ceremony in progress ... and this is where Barrel Distortion used to drive me nuts, until securing this lens.

Which lens DJ, the Leica or the Zeiss?

I'm talking about distortion when shooting vertical stuff like a church alter or pillars.

Oops, sorry, the Vario-Elmar. With most of my shots being landscapes there are usually no clean verticals, but there are a few here and there ...

459514.jpg

Back