DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax S2 successor

roberto1

First of all I would like to congratulate Dirk for the quality of this site and the information which is provided.
I am the proud owner -since 1994- of a Contax S2, silver, which has performed faultlessly ever since. It only gave me two problems: the first of them being the black flat spring plate which holds the flash in place in the hot shoe falling (nothing that a drop of contact glue would not solve -in fact it was assembled this way-) and the batteries (if using LR44s) not lasting at all in very cold weather.

But I am very satisfied about the reliability of the camera, the build quality, the feeling and the images it delivers.

But wanting to move on -and of course not wanting to put my trusty S2 to retirement, only for a while as a back-up body-, I had been taking a look at the available rivals:
1.- The Contax Aria. Very nice camera, looks good, small and well proportioned, with a vast array of exposure metering and modes -very important- (and I could continue using the superb 50mm f1.4 Planar). But I am unsure about its reliability (being totally battery-dependent) and its ruggedness (a plastic back might break before a metal one). Maybe I should test one

2.- The Leica R8. The viewfinder info is just superb, and ergonomics and exposure modes, too. The shutter speed dial and release are located in the same position as in my first camera (the old faithful Praktica BX20), but it's a bit too heavy and, again, battery dependent. I tested a demo item in a Show and it certainly speeds up taking photos.

3.- The Leica R6.2. This one would have been the winner -for me- but some thing or another always put me off. It's a no longer produced -but still supported- SLR, but what worries me are the reliability problems that Peter mentioned some time ago. Has anyone experienced or heard something about them?
Ergonomics and feeling are not as good as on the R8 or Aria, but it can be used regardless of conditions. And has different metering modes which my S2 doesn't have.

I would be very grateful if somebody could give me some advice, hence the Leica (but then a secondhand R6) was also considered before buying the S2 but the S2 won the battle.

Hi Robert,

I once tried a Leica R (4) myself. I switched to or stayed with Contax because of lens quality and lens prices!

The leica lenses I used (2.8/90 and 2.8/135) just couldn't compete with Canon (EOS), Pentax (I still have my MX with 2.5/135) or Zeiss (2.8-28, 35, 50, 135, 3.5/200) lenses. Build quality is superb -YES! Ergonomics are very good - o.k. - but everything is quite heavy ! And most other lenses are much more expensive than the Zeiss ones ! and that not being better !

Again you always have to pay attention if you buy 2nd hand. There are lenses only measuring for Leicaflex, some only for AV and only the newest ones for R4,5,7,8,9. And therse are very expensive.... (you can partly buy a Zeiss lens new for it!)

If the battery thing is important - I'm still using my 137MA using AA-cells which you can get nearly everywhere on this planet. Another cheap backup choice is the Yashica FX3. Nearly every Contax has the ability to run with batteries in a holder in your pocket.

I'd stay with Contax.

Best wishes

Paul

Thank you very much for your advice, Paul. As you say, the most sensible choice is to stay with Contax.
Best wishes
Robert

Robert,

Don't worry about the plasic in the Aria, this is my
choice for a travelling SLR camera, I have been using it
successfully for 3 years without any problem.
(I have a range of cameras).

>The Contax Aria. Very nice camera, looks good, small and well proportioned, with a vast array of exposure metering and modes -very important- (and I could continue using the superb 50mm f1.4 Planar). But I am unsure about its reliability (being totally battery-dependent) and its ruggedness (a plastic back might break before a metal one). Maybe I should test one.

I have to add my endorsement of the Aria for what you are looking for. Fo= r 20 years I used a Nikon FG-20, which was the ultra-basic Nikon of its d= ay (aperature-priority and manual only, and very little else). For a cons= umer product, including some plastic, it was amazingly durable. I didn't = put pro-level cycles on my shutter and mount, but I did manage to drop it= and bang it a lot in lots of overseas and outdoor trips, including one= good submersion.

Having had the opportunity to shoot with some Zeiss lenses and being a) i= mmediately sold and b) sorry I hadn't tried them sooner, I looked at vari= ous Contax bodies and settled on the Aria. It's great.

You're not switching from a cheap Nikon, and I wouldn't equate a cheap Ni= kon to the S2, obviously, but I would draw two conclusions from my experi= ence for you:

1. If the Nikon held up to my abuse with 20-year-old plastic, I can't ima= gine that that an Aria with good new plastic is going to be a problem.

2. Functionally and size-wise, if you're used to a small, basic camera, t= he Aria is your best Contax bet after another S2.

Plus, as you mention, the array of metering and modes is great. Definitel= y test one.

Will

Thank you very much for your advice, William and Will.

If you both have been using the Aria mainly for travelling (and this was my S2's main role) for many years, and it's light, and easy to handle, it could be the best bet.

In the beginning I could not rely at all in a camera with plastic parts, but as Will states, if 20-year-old plastic held up the abuse, why couldn't the Aria do so?

One of these days I will probably drop a visit to my local photo shop and test one.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Robert

I may be wrong but I thought Leica R series were just dressed up Minolta Dynax's at four times the cost. OK the lenses are pretty good but do you want to pay USD1800 for a Minolta? I don't think the Aria is one of Contax's better efforts; it always seemed a bit "cheesepared" to me. If you want a proper Contax SLR go for an AX, RX or RTS111.

Best regards Wilson

Wilson,

I was dubious of the Aria until I bought one. Plastic shell, yes, but amazingly solid. It has a metal superstructure and glass pentaprism, just like its big brothers. The big payoff is mass: with Planar 50/1.4, you have a killer picture-taking machine that weighs less than the RX body! Use the Tessar, and the combo weighs less than a Leica M body. I don't fancy hauling the RTSIII on vacation.

To go lighter, you must accept Contax T and its limitations.

Wilson,

> I don't think the Aria > is one of Contax's better efforts; it always seemed a bit > "cheesepared" to me.

Do you actually HAVE an Aria? Personally, I find the Aria the most usable Contax I have (and I have an RTS-III, AX and S2). It does everything right, at least that I care about. The only comment I can make about it, is it's not as rugged "feeling" as the RTS-III...and that's not a complaint at all.

The viewfinder is very good, display is fine, it has the AE Lock when depressing the shutter button half way, has an awesome databack...it's reasonably quiet, small package, full featured. I haven't found it to be lacking in any area, really...the larger "normal" lenses like the 85/1.4 and 35/1.4 don't overpower it at all, it's comfortable to use.

Some people have issues with the matrix metering mode...and if you do, simply don't use matrix metering. I, personally haven't had an issue with it (or any other Aria issue for that matter), and I prefer spot metering anyway. I have to say it's my favorite Contax.

Regards,

Austin

Hello Wilson,

I also have the RX, but I much prefer taking my Aria on trips,
this is one of Contax's best cameras (as is the RX).

William

Back