DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss 85mm/1.4 AE - Stiff Focusing Ring

carlos

I have the opportunity to purchase an 85mm 1.4 AE "Maded in West Germany", s/n 646xxxx for $350US. It's in excellent condition, and the glass looks new, but the focusing ring seems a bit stiff throughout its range. (I'm comparing it to a silky-smooth 28/2.8 and 50/1.7, both recent MM lenses)

My questions for forum members are:
1. Is this a fair price for this lens?
2. Is the 85mm 1.4 known to have a fairly stiff focus action, or
3. Is it likely that with age and, perhaps, disuse, the lubricants on the focusing helical have dried out?

I'm curious in part because a recently had an 85mm 2.8MM (s/n 843xxxx, I think) that I had to send back, because the focus ring was so stiff, it was unusable. I've not noticed this with Nikon or Canon lenses of similar age.

I'm guessing that getting the lens relubricated might not be worth it, and I am inclined not to purchase it, but I'm eager to hear what more experienced Contax users have to say.

Thanks!

Hi Carlos,
I bought an MM 85 f1.4, new, in 1998 and it always suffered from stiffness of the focus ring so I assume it's part of the lense's character.
I'm putting it for sale because I find it too bulky and heavy for my shooting style... I've actually only used it two or three times.
Regards,
Ricardo

Hi Carlos,
I bought an MM 85 f1.4, new, in 1998 and it always suffered from stiffness of the focus ring so I assume it's part of the lens's character.
I'm putting it for sale because I find it too bulky and heavy for my shooting style... I've actually only used it two or three times.
Regards,
Ricardo

Hi Carlos,

I have a German made P85, wich is rather stiff compared to the other lenses i have. I kind find it usefull because of the shallow deapth of field of the P85, thus aiding critical focusing. I guess it is part of the lens caracter

Thank you all for your information and advice. I had the lens for a few days and loved the results, but hated the way it handled, and so I decided to return it. I think the lens I had was, in fact, a bit dried out and in need of servicing, which would have negated the attractiveness of the price.

Back