DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

The Nikon ais lenses aren't dead

MrWilson

It seems a lot of the most modern slr lenses are really excellent, without many defects, but actually sometimes a little too sanitary. I love some of the old ais lenses because of course they are not perfect, but some of them have lots of character and are build and operate really well. Below is an image of my Grandson photographed with the Nikon 105mm f2.5 ais lens. Come on, lets get the Nikon SLR category rolling.

Larry

Attachments

• DSC_7520_DxO_DxO.jpg
    EXIF
    DSC_7520_DxO_DxO.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
AI lenses were always considered sanitary looking, by the standards of the time. But now, the newer lenses are even more perfect and suddenly AI lenses are full of character. (Flawed)

The pre-AI lenses are the ones to go for, IMO; good, but not sanitary, partly due to worse coatings.

Nowadays, most people add character in post-processing, but I have a few adapted lenses and I enjoy their flavor too!

AI lenses were always considered sanitary looking, by the standards of the time. But now, the newer lenses are even more perfect and suddenly AI lenses are full of character. (Flawed)

The pre-AI lenses are the ones to go for, IMO; good, but not sanitary, partly due to worse coatings.

Nowadays, most people add character in post-processing, but I have a few adapted lenses and I enjoy their flavor too!
So this is like vinyl, the more distortion the better ;)

I have never bought into the "film look" or the "character" of older lenses. When I shot film I bought the best lenses possible, think 50/1.4 AI-S, 28/2 AI-S, 135/2 AI-S, 200/2 AI-S, and 400/2.8 AI-S as well as Canon FD 17/4, FD 35/2, FD 300/2.8, and FD 400/2.8.

I also photographed using the finest grain films, like K25, K64, Velvia 50, Ektar 25, and TechPan. I have digitized many of these film images, and digital prints do not look out of place beside my pure digital prints.

My current old lenses include the Nikon 8/2.8 AI-S, Canon FD 50/3.5 Macro, FD 55/1.2 Aspherical, FD 800/5.6 L as well as a couple of medium format lenses. All of these lenses can challenge current lenses on a 50MP DSLR. Most of them do require some easy CA correction in post. I have had brand new current third party lenses which require huge CA correction.

I have always avoided poor films and poor lenses and I do not accept 70 year old discolored slides and negatives as a good inspiration for photography.

Absolutely continue buying AI and AI-S lenses, many can easily compete with current lenses. Unlike many Nikon AF lenses they even work on Z. If you like weird effects, low contrast, and image ruining flare, I too would look back to the pre-AI lenses.

Of course their not dead! Prior to electronics being installed into lenses they would live on for ages unless abused (bashed or infected).
I love adapting lenses and have brought life back to lenses that are over 100 years old, AI lenses are mere striplings in comparison :)

Due to their long flange distance Nikon F lenses are particularly easy to adapt, being usable via appropriate adapters on most SLR mounts as well as mirrorless bodies and not needing an adapter at all on Nikon SLRs :)

Finally, the ball is rolling, keep them coming. I guess when I say character, I mean that they have some defects as even modern lenses have.
Welcome everyone. Here's an image taken with the Nikon 50mm f1.2 lens. Geico taken at 1/180 at f5.6 iso 800.
gecko.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D4
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/20000000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 800

Larry, Mr.Wilson

Back