DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Overview of the SL300R

old_admin_CI

Dear Contaxinfo.com members,

Contax has a new digital P&S model called "CONTAX SL300R T*". It seems to be the sister model of the SL300R of Kyocera. But the Contax model has a Zeiss lens on it (Vario-Tessar T* 5.8-17.4mm F2.8-4.7,which is 38-115mm on a 35-mm camera). It is a 3x optical zoom lens.

3.17 million effective pixel, "RTUNE" image processing system. A filter can be attached by using the special hood and adapter on the front of the lens. Titanium body.

Prices not yet available, delivery date this month (December 2003).

More details here:

http://global.kyocera.com/news/2003/1106.html

And here is a picture:

159746.jpg

159747.jpg

I originally posted this in another thread, but it seems more appropriate here. Sorry for any confusion. Some weeks or months ago I sent an email to NuCore about the rumor that they were working on a camera for an OEM - which did turn out to be Kyocera. Jim Chapman from NuCore sent me this email over the weekend as a follow up, which I'm forwarding to the group. -Lynn

(quoting Jim Chapman from NuCore below)

> Subject: Re: NuCORE based Kyocera camera > > To Regarding your inquiry > Fr: Jim Chapman > Re: Kyocera Camera / US Market Links > > Here's the latest on NuCORE > > The new Kyocera SL300R is one of the coolest cameras out of Japan and it has > NuCORE image processors inside. > > Attached are a link to the PC magazine review. > > http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1397998,00.asp > > and a Bizrate link to internet sites where the cameras can be purchased. > > http://bizrate.com/marketplace/search/search__cat_id--402,prod_id--11304604,ke > yword--kyocera%20SL300R.html > > I especially like the quote in the review " there is no denying that the > image processor in the SL300R advances the state of the art" > > Please forward to your friends. It makes a sexy Christmas gift. > > Jim

I am really disappointed in a direction that Kyocera assumed. Now it seems that they are going to focus on posh consumer cameras for non-professional use. Surely this camera is cute, but it is more like a fashion statement, rather than a picture taking tool. What I always liked about Contax of the past was a fine blend of luxurious amenities and true high-performance professional features. Now the latter seems to be going away
sad.gif

It looks nice and sleek but I won't be getting rid of my HP715 in favour of it! It's definately not in the right direction for a Contax as far as I'm concerned.
When I look at the Leica/Panasonic colaberation I wonder what the 'gobbins' @ Kyocera are up to. It's almost as though they don't mind suffering the dishonour of being a second/third class outfit as far as 'real' cameras go. Or have they just decided to shove real camera production into a shameful part of their history?

I don't mind Contax offering consumer cameras, as long as they continue to invest in "pro" cameras, too. After all, I need a small digital camera, in addition to a seriuos tool. It's absolutely fantastic if I can get any camera I need with a Zeiss lense!

Hi Paul, Nice to see you on the list again. I think I understand what you mean about the Leica-Panasonic efforts, having seen the pics of the new Leica Digilux 2 just this morning. From the outside, the Leica LOOKS so much nicer than any other digital I've ever seen on the market. It looks like what I want a camera to be, the controls look intuitive. Of course I don't have any idea of what it can do performance-wise. I've never wanted a Leica before, other than the IIIf my friend has and now doesn't use :0 The Kyocera or Contax new digital isn't my cup-of-tea regarding its non-classic exterior looks, but I guess it would really appeal to many who like that new-age sort of departure from the norm. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. -Lynn

Hi Lynn, I feel that with a lot of these digitals it is a case of 'let's see how small we can make these' My kids have lost too many mobile/cell phones because of their small size, but you can't ring your camera to find out where it is!! ;-)

Digital photography has adopted the worst habits of my industry (computers). Products are feature-driven, churn through the market, and break a month out of warranty. I can understand the 100% depreciation of my ancient Nikon Coolpix CP900 (a cool $1000), but there is another kind of cost: ergonomic comfort. By that, I mean the instinctive rapport you develop with a tool after years of intimate handling - rather like a good women! With no attention needed to operate the apparatus, you can concentrate on capturing the moment.

Here is my progression equipment-wise in the last two years: Canon D30 DSLR system, Contax C/Y system, and (as of today) Leica M4. Before I move into a cave and eat raw meat, I may have time to get a Contax IIa from Henry Scherer, and pour some glass-plate negatives.

Not that I'm a complete Luddite: the D30 is quite handy at times. The SL300R, however, will be gone in the blink of an eye. Seems like just yesterday that the TVSD was hot stuff. I only hope the Dimage X20 remains on the shelf until Christmas (present for teenage niece).

I agree with Lynn about the look of the Digilux 2.
It is a very appealing looking camera and looks very nice to use and I think that I would love one but of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating or of the camera in the picture taking. Digital cameras do seem to vary so much, unlike a traditional camera where you put a particular film in and you pretty well know what sort of results you will get from it and without any post taking computer manipulation.
I wonder how the new Leica will compare with the new Sony DSC F828 for ex&le which although it has non traditional looks, does look as though it will be a very capable and desirable camera and will probably be a fair bit cheaper than the Leica although I don't yet know how much the Leica will be. Only time will tell but I have seen mixed reports about the Digilux 1.
Regards,
John

John, I am really interested in how Leica is going to price this new camera. With it's resolution of almost two times less than Sony F828, it is going to have a very hard time convincing people to opt for Leica just based on the brand recognition.
On the other hand I am really puzzled why no other manufacturer of non-interchangeable lens digicams, Contax included, produced a camera with traditional exposure controls before. I am ready to kiss Leica engineers just for that aperture ring on the lens.

Back