DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

>>I will probably add only one lens to the Canon mix, the 35/1.4 L, which IMO is the best fast 35mm SLR lens ever produced.

Nikons' 28/1.4 isn't far behind, and their 85/1.4, 105/2 or 135/2 and 18/2.8 ASPH
is worth having a body for.

But, as we all know and love, there is something about those Contax Ziess lenses, so my ND isn't going anywhere. <<

This is slightly off-topic...but not really, when we consider how older classic lenses can still be used with many modern digital cameras. Marc, I've learned a great deal from your numerous posts precisely because of your extensive experience with multiple systems. At some point, perhaps you could post in one of the other forums here (the C/Y mount one, maybe?) what your favorite 35mm lenses are across the board (Zeiss, Canon, Nikon, Leica, etc)...not for advocacy purposes, but because of the credibility of your experience.

Like you, I'm partial to lenses rather than systems, which is why I've "regressed" to a manual focus 35mm SLR and Contax 645 even though my Fuji S2 is supposed to have rendered my film systems obsolete by now.

The S2 is a superb high ISO digital camera and holds its own for color portraits. The Nikon lenses I'm partial to are the 105mm f2 DC and the 180mm f2.8, as well as the 85mm 1.4 to a lesser extent. But I do feel even greater affection for the 135mm f2 Zeiss, and the 45mm and 21mm G lenses have served me extremely well as well. The 120 f4 and 80mm 2.8 645 Contax Zeiss lenses are just exceptional.

And Marc, thank you for indirectly recommending the use of the 110mm f2 Hassy lens in another thread.<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• very well with the 645, and I've found its soft focus effects outstanding for portrait and fashion work.

Well chaps, I've been following this forum for about nine months. It's been a wealth of information, which I'm truly grateful for. I've only posted a couple of times, but each time the responses were very constructive. I find myself at a crossroads. having been a photo nut for thirty years and a Contax geek for twenty five of those, I've sadly come to the conclusion that Contax will not be able to compete with the other professional digital players. I'm about ready to sell off my Pentax 6x7 system and my Contax N1 system (I'll keep the G2, simply because it's such a work of art, and a joy to use) As much as I wanted to stay with Contax I don't feel I can wait any longer to go "digital" and Contax is not where I need them to be at this point in time. I never thought I'd stray. Contax cameras have always "fit" me perfectly, now it looks like it's going to be the Kodak 14 megapixel with Nikon glass. I've been hoping a message would come through this board saying Contax has solved all the software problems and will upgrade the chip in existing cameras to a full frame 14 megapixel, but alas, to no avail. If anyone could recommend what lens' I should get from Nikon, I'd appreciate it (I know that's a bit cheeky on a Contax board, thought I'd ask anyway) I shoot mostly black and white portraits with a mix of wedding/fashion and stock (travel) the 24-85 and 80-300 zooms from the N system have served me well for much of my work.

Thanks guys

Gareth, I'd hold on for a bit until the Kodak 14n
is out and about. The images posted on the Kodak site are fairly unimpressive so far, and they've delayed the camera again...for the third time...not a promising sign.

I have one on order, but I'm not sure as of yet whether I'll take it. If I do, the first thing I'm going to do is run a test between it, the Canon 1Ds and the Contax ND. Previous test I have done proved to me that doubling the pixel count doesn't double the picture quality or anything near doubling it.

In the meantime, the only real issue with the ND is the RAW developer software. BTW, if you are a B&W portrait shooter, the ND with the 85/1.4 really shines there. I've come to like the camera just for that reason alone.

If you insist on switching, do so for good glass. Nikon makes a couple of prime lenses worth owning...28/1.4 ASPH, 85/1.4, 85/2.8 PC Macro, 105 and 135/2 DCs, 180/2.8. All three the AFS zooms are okay. But Nikon is switching over to G style design, which eliminates any aperture ring. Personally, I hate that.

Gareth, I agree with what Marc said. All of it.

I have recently been involved (peripherally) with some testing that was done between the Canon 1Ds, Nikon D1X, and Kodak 14n (unfortunately, as usual, the Contax was not in the lineup). Let's just say that I am not impressed with the Kodak camera.

The Canon is clearly the best all-around choice (in my opinion... which differs a bit from the reviewer's since the review owns all Nikon gear). It costs too much (but then, so does the Contax) and doesn't have the beloved Zeiss look or the Contax handling (which I love).

Just don't commit yourself to the Kodak too soon.

David

OK, so I can hold off a little longer, however all I want is a digital camera that will equal my 6x7 neg scanned, so I can make 24x30 prints on an Epson 7600. Ultimately that's what I want as far as resolution goes. Plus I need a camera that will work well with on camera flash for weddings.

I would also love some advice regarding making a negative from a digital file. I still want to be able to make fiber prints, as impressed as I've been from ink jet prints on art papers, I still love the look of a well developed selenium toned fiber print. I've done some prints on my epson 2200, but not happy yet. I suspect the right film could correct the blotchy attempts i've made so far

When I said I've done some prints on my Epson 2200, but not happy yet...I meant I've tried to make negatives on clear film. I'm very happy with the prints I get on the 2200

Gareth, I fear that it will be a while before 35mm type digital SLRs will equal a well scanned frame of 6X7 film. I would be cautious in swallowing all the hype and claims from manufacturers and committed owners of systems like the Canon 1Ds (me being one of them).

I got the Canon 1Ds to shoot weddings due to lightening fast focus even at dimmly lit receptions. Plus its' on-bracket flash system is nothing short of amazing. The Kodak 14n is based on a Nikon N80, so it will not functionally perform anywhere near the 1Ds, except in the catagory of resolution (as of yet to be actually seen).

Pardon the directness, but if in some cases you prefer traditional silver prints, you will never equal a 6X7 negative by shooting digital then making a digital negative. It's to many steps away from the original. It seems to me that you would be better off selling the Pentax 6X7 system and getting a Contax 645 with a digital back. That way you can shoot film or digital at will ( not an option with DSLRs). Plus, the lenses will fit on your N1 via the NAM-1 Adapter while retaining all functions including AF.

The thing about Medium Format digital solutions is that they don't have the resolution/pixel size ceiling that 35mm DSLRs have. Fuji recently announced a 22 meg back that's close to a full frame 645. That means not only is the pixel count twice that of the Canon 1Ds, the pixels are bigger...thus allowing for smoother tonal gradations especially visable in 24X30 prints.

My current 16 meg Kodak 645C ProBack on a Contax 645 gives me the Zeiss look I prefer,
while allowing me to switch backs for certain applications. One of those application options is the use of B&W film for a look which digital cannot mimic.

I feel for you, all this fast moving technology is a mind full. It's very expensive, and retains value only if you make the right choices, so you can continue using the gear and profitably apply it despite newer, better, shinier solutions every 6 months to a year.

..digital SLRs will equal a well scanned frame of 6X7 film...

When I first bought the N1 two years ago, I wanted to get into the Contax (Zeiss) system and eventually get the ND. Though I am very happy with the N1, I am holding off on digital SLR due to cost vs. performance factor.

Instead of getting the ND, and for other reasons, I got the C645 instead in last November. Graduately I have 3 C645 lenses and a NAM-1 adapter for my N1. The performance with the C645 is incredible, especially with the 120mm APO macro. This lens is my primary reason for the C645. I am so happy with the C645 and I have stopped using the Hassey and the RZ systems.
To fill my gap for digital photography. I scan my 645 (sometimes 35mm) films. The results are very impressive. There as something about medium format that 35mm SLR can't deliver. The resolution, three dimensionality, etc. Of course, that is even more true for large format, which I love the most.

Scanning films is not the best way for digital solutions and not for everybody. But it fills the gap, and allows me relax and watch the dust settle.

Hey Marc and Albert. Thanks so much for your input. I spent most of yesterday reading up on the state of digital photography at the moment. It was this article that pretty much made up my mind about digital:www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/shootout.shtml
The only thing is, I have not been impressed with Canon lens' of the past, so I thought the Kodak body with Nikon glass would be the way to go.

Marc, I think your suggestion makes the most sense, I'll give it serious consideration. Still, it looks like that will also be the most expensive route too. Of course, selling the pentax system would seriously take the sting out of that. What does the DCS back run for?

I find this whole senario of digital vs film to be very frustrating!

Cheers guys

Unfortunately, that frustrating digital verses film thing can be solved with cold, hard cash.

The DCS ProBack for the Contax 645 is around $12,000. once you get a couple of batteries. You may be able to get a better deal
now that the back has been out a while.

However, I've seen the ProBack Plus for a Hasselblad or Mamiya RZ for as little as $7.500 for reconditioned ones from Kodak.

The cost factor can be softened if you have commercial clients: I charge a $200. day rate for digital capture...60 rental days and it's paid for free and clear, (I paid for mine with-in 6 months of getting it ). Clients save because they avoid film, processing and most of all scanning charges (which can run into the thousands for a catalog job or multiple image job).

Back