DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

About the new flarefree finder

momo

Hi everyone,
I've heard that the newer batches of M7 have adopted the MP flare-free finder. I wonder it started with what serial number? And I heard one can tell the new finder with a blue window on the rangefinder. Is it correct?
Thanks very much.

Eric

Eric

You cannot tell whether the MP finder is fitted in the M7 from the serial number.

No as well to the blue window theory.

Apparently, Leica now label M7 boxes with a “New Improved Finder†sticker.

You can test the M7 with a bright light source. The MP finder will not flare the older M6 type will flare easily.

Regards Craig

Around 2885xxx. My original M7 with serial #285xxxx flared, my new one which is 2887xxx doesn't. From the outside, they looked identical, the only way to test is with a light source.

Karen

Thank you Craig and Karen.
I have an M2 and M3 and now decided to get an extra body with quicker action to help me on street shots.
I read quite a few messages about choosing between MP and M7. They are all valueable.
Both M7 and MP have advantages and drawbacks. M7 has a bad fame about its DX reader and viewfinder (of those before 2885xxx as Karen suggested). But M7 has the AE which enables quicker action and at times you can leave it out if you just want to use the meter without AE.
MP should be a great camera overall and has a higher resale value. It is definitely quicker than my M2 and M3 but still a bit slower than M7.
Many would say the little more time you spend in thinking on the exposure will help get the better pictures. I totally understand that. I have no choice since I use M2/M3. But on many occasions on the street, I want to react quickly.
Some told me to rethink about the electronic shutter. As I would be shooting in Hong Kong 95% of the time and the temperature is not demanding on the shutter. And on travels I can still bring my other Ms as well. So I guess this should not be too big a problem.
I am now going out to the shop to get my M7. This message seems that I'm trying to justify myself. Hope the M7 is exactly what I want with no mistake.

Good luck with the M7, Eric.

Quite different to the M2 and M3 but I think you shall enjoy using it.

All the best, Craig

Eric - I have an M7 for just a few weeks. The bad fame on the DX reader is not justified. Just a bit of patience on your hands when unloading film. The M7 is a fast camera to use on streets. Do let us know how you get on.

Daniel

Hi everyone!
I think I might have been blessed. I bought an M7 with absolutely ideal condition. And the process was quite coincident.
On Sunday, I was accompanied by a friend to a shop to which he is familiar with. I was originally looking for a 0.82 but the shop ran out of stock so we left. I then went to another shop myself. The shop was supposed to open at 3:00pm on Sundays but the boss finished hiking early and back to the shop with a bit fatigue and nothing else to do.
I took the 0.82 in hand and discovered the frameline of 35mm was a bit too tight to the edges, although I'm not a glasses wearer. I then decided to buy the 0.72. And the boss took out a couple for me to choose, the one I chose was with a cute number "28888xx". Add to my surprise was that the price of this shop was USD150 less than the first shop.
If I were to buy the 0.72 in the first place I would have bought the camera from the expensive shop. And now, I got the M7 with an ideal magnification, cute number, and a nice price.
I'm a happy customer.

Congratulations Eric on this new acquisation. I use the Konica Hexar RF - a precursor to the M7 - will not switch until it dies on me as it takes most of my M lenses

Brgds / Joseph Low

Eric,

congratulations !
may I ask you how much did you pay for your M7 ? Just to know how big the price's difference is compared to France. And also, do you confirm there was a “New Improved Finder†sticker on the box. In fact, I am thinking about purchasing one, possibly a second hand one and I am wondering if I have to double-check the serial number plus the sticker (if this one actually exists).

Regards,
Sheung

If the serial number is 285xxxx, then you have about a 50-80% chance of the new finder. If it's 288xxxx then it's pretty much 100%. Just my own experience... There is no definite cut-off in the 285 series.

Back