DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Nikon lens won't fit on the Nikon adapter (SD14)

D~C

Ok, this is kinda weird.

I have a Sigma SD14 that has the Nikon mount conversion. I had been shooting with a Nikon Nikkor 105mm and a Vivitar Series zoom lens.

I recently tried to mount my Nikon Nikkor 50mm f1.4 lens to my SD14 and for some reason . . . it just won't fit! I have never had a problem with any of these lenses when I mount them to my Cinemek G35 adapter (that has a Nikon mount) for motion picture capture. So I'm not sure what is going on here??

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Make sure that the lens does not have a guide...on the rear element due to the element being exposed there is a metal piece that sticks out...if you have this on the 50 f1.4 usually on AI or AIS lenses...you need to have this ground down...the lens...will not mount due to the fact of the space from the UV/IR blocking filter to the mount....

If you have a newer lens AF....then it probably recedes too deep into the lens mount to fit...I had a few issues like this...

If you could post pictures of the lens rear so we can see that would help...

Tony C.....:z04_cowboy:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    EXIF
    1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    EXIF
    2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2
I looked at my AIs 50 f1.4 and they look the same....what is happening when you put this with the camera...?? Also, would you take a picture of the adapter on the camera...??

1. Did you do the conversion yourself...??
2. Where did you get the conversion...??

Sorry for more question...that looks like it should fit...:z04_photos:

Attachments

Lens fit/goes inside completely, than not rotate into?

Otherwise check if it touch the IR filter board

...if you have a Caliper you can measure as well any problem, even the thickness of the 3 dents on both Nikon camera/lens mount, and so the space under dents too.
...also with caliper you can easly check differences from the other lens that fits good.

The lens almost completely goes in, maybe 98% in. There is a very slight wobble to it, which tells me that it is not snug enough. The lens will not rotate; there is something blocking its rotational path.

It's hard to tell if the lens is touching the IR board since I can't see inside when I'm trying to mount the lens. I do not have a caliper, but I will see about getting one.

I would use a mm ruler to see the depth.....your mount and mine look the same...Printable MM ruler
Did you do the conversion yourself...?? and if you did...did you add back the spacer that you took off of the sigma mount...?? That spacer is 1mm and if you don't have it in there you can be having an issue....the spacer goes first before the new mount...

This is what it looks like...Link to the SigmaCumLaude Installation...and how it should be used and mounted....

View attachment 1903

View attachment 1904

View attachment 1905

Then you put the Nikon-F mount on....if you don't know take it apart and find out....if it is there...if not you will have to get this piece or a spacer for it to work....also if you have any of the spare spacers and this one is in like it should be you might want to add on of the other spacers to see if it works...

Let us know if this helps.....

If you not you might want to post your issue here....This is Luis's site for issues with the Nikon F adapter....

Tony C....:z04_cowboy:

****All Pictures are from Luis's instruction manual....and I did not mean any harm by posting them...just here to help a fellow SD14 user....(Sorry Luis's if this is an issue with you)...*****

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    EXIF
    Picture-1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Picture-2.jpg
    EXIF
    Picture-2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture-3.jpg
    EXIF
    Picture-3.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 86
Thanks for that info! I think it has been put together correctly (by the person who sold it to me), but I'll have to take it apart to verify. When I have some time, I'll do that. Might not be for some days as I'm a little bit swamped now. But I will report back when I can! :)

Ok, before I go taking my SD14 apart, let me show you an image of what was left over from the original Sigma mount.

View attachment 1912

The silver ring on the left is the original Sigma lens mount, and of course it is very thick. The golden ring in the middle is extremely thin and can bend easily. The silver ring on the right is a little thicker than the golden ring.

So perhaps I could add one or both of the spacer rings (middle and right images) under my Nikon mount?

Attachments

• SigmaSD14_orig_mount.JPG
    EXIF
    SigmaSD14_orig_mount.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 3
Back