DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SIGMA HIGH ISOs ... and so it works...

Hi Patrick ... you got it! That is the proper workflow with SD-High ISOs.

16-bit TIFF or 8-bit JPGs .....???!!!

In fact it daoes not make all that much of a different (IMHO) as long as you use a high JPG-quality.

Above, I did JPGs. :)

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

I am really surpriced that is possible; so you shoot raw, export a jpg max quality with auto in spp and edit that jpg in camera raw? I really thought belived that it would ruin the picture to edit a jpg - or is this only for high iso pics, that already are inferiour?

I am really surpriced that is possible; so you shoot raw, export a jpg max quality with auto in spp and edit that jpg in camera raw? I really thought belived that it would ruin the picture to edit a jpg - or is this only for high iso pics, that already are inferiour?

Hi solsang,

it depends on the picture. But there is a rule of thumb that you have always more headroom, espielly in the lights with RAW images. The best practice is doing as much as possible within RAW and only for things you can not do with your RAW processor, the switch in other format with the highest quality possible.

The problem is more, that not every RAW processor is good in everything. The SPP has some advantages, but can not do all the finetuning like LR2 or PS CS4. On the other hand SPP can do things which LR2 and PS CS4 can not do in the same way and sometime not as good as SPP.

Depending on the picture, it is therefore better to use i.e. SPP, another picture might be better processed & tweaked with LR2 et alii.

Unfortunately, there is currently neither support for Sigma RAW files in DXO nor in Capture one. So there is not that much choice out there to find the best tool :(

All depends on the combination of your expections for the image quality you want to achieve (and time to invest), the RAW material you have and your personal knowledge in using different software with all available tricks for different situations.

Best wishes

.... it may sound funny ... but it works! Using my "Raw-Photo-Studio-filter" you really can enhance colour saturation/colour correctness/noise performance in general / and chromatic noise performance in particular.

A candlelight shot ... ISO 1600 / 200mm / F:6,3 (open) / ....1/30s... (freehended - OS ON)

SPP result:

View attachment 1170

One mouse-click later ... using my readymade ISO 1600-filter (exactly like explained above!)

View attachment 1171

If you did not know? Does No.2 look like SD14 ISO1600?

Klaus

Attachments

• Sample 19.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 19.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Sample 20.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 20.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 136
I must be a bit tired right now...I don't quite understand the post very well, so I'll read it again after I go take a walk. :z04_pc2:

But Holy Cow! That last image of the wristwatch. Frankly it looks like it came right off of the drum scanner from one of my 6x7 transparencies.

And this with ONE click?

Amazing.

.... it may sound funny ... but it works!
One mouse-click later ... using my readymade ISO 1600-filter (exactly like explained above!)
Klaus

That is tremendously amazing, i would love to do it - really sad the program does only accept the old sigma raw, so my dp1 pictures are left in the cold, i really could use iso 800 & pushed 1600 shots with it that are seemingly impossible to correct in other programs

Happily my friends sd14 can get to see this miracle, so i can borrow that when needed, and look forward to an update of raw photo studio (maybe with the coming of sd15, that i expect to use the same x3f as dp1 and 2)

Attachments

• Sample 16.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 16.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Sample 8.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 8.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 53
  • Sample 12.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 12.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Sample 13.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 13.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Sample 14.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 14.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Sample 15.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 15.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 42
I'm continuing my thread My High ISO Evaluation, but I'm now posting here because I've come up with my own High ISO fix just using Photoshop.

A nice use of the X-Rite ColorChecker is to create and save image manipulations so that they can be applied at a later time to other photos. It's also very easy to make adjustments and see how things turn out.

Here is my original ColorChecker photo shot at ISO 1600:

View attachment 1555

and here is the version where I have been able to correct for the failings of ISO 1600:

View attachment 1556

Interestingly, this was achieved with only a single level adjustment layer where I simple set the White, Black, and Grey points to the ColorCheckers White, Black, and Neutral .5 Grey squares. These are the squares in the bottom row Left, Right, and Center Right respectively.

I applied this to my ISO 1600 Horse photo, the original:

View attachment 1558

and fixed. In this case, the level adjustment was too severe, so I reduced the Opacity to about 80%:

View attachment 1559

If anyone wants to play with this fix, here is a Zip archive containing the level adjustment:

View attachment 1557

In Photoshop, open a Daylight White balanced ISO 1600 image, create a level adjustment layer and instead of playing with the histogram, click on Load and open the file extracted from this Zip. As I had to do with my image, adjust the level adjustment layer's opacity to get the right effect needed.

Attachments

• SDIM0162s.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM0162s.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 59
  • SDIM0162LAs.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM0162LAs.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 57
  • EXIF
    SD14ISO1600LevelAdj.ZIP
    239 bytes · Views: 53
  • SDIM0143ISO1600s.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM0143ISO1600s.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 44
  • SDIM0143ADJs.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM0143ADJs.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 49
Selective Colour Control

Hi Vigor,

what I did above is no magic! I just used Sigma Photo Pro and the above mentioned RAW PHOTO STUDIO software.

I am sorry ... Raw Photo Studio is based upon an Arc-Soft product named Photo-Studio-Darkroom

http://www.download.com/ArcSoft-PhotoStudio-Darkroom/3000-2192_4-10586159.html

This version is available in Englsh but .. HAS NO selective colour control engine!!!

http://www.arcsoft.com/public/software_title.asp?ProductID=366

I can't tell from the product description, but maybe the screen shots show. Do you think ArcSoft Studio Darkroom has now acquired selective colour control?

Does not seem as if .....

The only suitable screenshot of the new 2.0 version seems to be this one:

View attachment 1697

Compare this to my German Raw-Photo-Studio screenshot:

View attachment 1699 View attachment 1698

As it seems .... selective colour control is still a missing feature with the English version! Hard to believe .... obviously they go another way developing their software?!!

Klaus

Attachments

• 68894.gif.jpg
    EXIF
    68894.gif.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 42
  • RAW-P_1.JPG
    EXIF
    RAW-P_1.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Sample 12.JPG