DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax TLA200 flash on Contax N1

G

I got the TLA200 flash unit when I bought my G2, and I find it's also usable with the N1. I don't think it can do second curtain sync with it..and think I have to upgrade to at least the TLA280. Any advice on the 280? Is there a better unit?

sorry for the dumb questions..I'm REALLY trying to learn this stuff!

Hi Jeff,

I think you should also consider 3rd party flashes like the Metz 54MZ3. These are cheaper then the Contax Flashes with similar functions but you can use them via adapter also with other camera systems. In my opinion the Contax flashes are totally overpriced for their features.

dirk

Dirk.
Thanks for the reply. I'll look up the Metz. So there isn't some hypersecret code that the N1 sends to only the Contax flash? Will the Metz work on my hotshoe and coordinate all the info like the Contax flash will?
Sorry to be an idiot...
Jeff

Very true , if you're getting away from using Contax flashes , but you should then also consider the Sunpak range which are also modular in design and cheaper again generally than the Metz ones - very well made and reliable. Steve

... in my experience it is more a question of timing. If a manufacturer is coming out with a brand new feature for flash usage, the own new flashes will support that only. But after a certain time 3rd party producers find a way to implement this feature in their next models too...

I am not aware of any Contax flash which has features the newest top Metz model can not support. Maybe someone else can correct me here, if I am wrong...

dirk

Back