DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

How to remove grains of sand out of the MF barrel

G

Hi,

Some grains of sand entered my Carl Zeiss MF lenses during my last trip to the dessert. I hear some 'grinding' noice when turning the MF barrel. How can I clean this myself?

Sander

The first thing you can try is to hold the lens with the front facing down. Then use a business card and slip it into the space under the focus ring. If the sand is not too bad, it will come out on the card, etc. Be careful not to allow the grit to scratch the outside of the lens mount. Move the focus ring to it's othe stop and try again.

If this doesn't do it, you will either have to disassemble the lens or take it in for service. Don't use oil to lube the focus helicoid. Don't use a grease that separates into oil and grease. The helicoid threads must be scrupulously cleaned, then lube it sparingly. Too much may cause or accelerate grease/oil deposits on your diaphragm blades. Hope this is helpful to you.

Where can I find more information about disassembling the lens? I'm not very clumsy, but I would not like to touch the optical part of the lens!

Back