DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Hi! I am Rod Klukas. I teach large format photography both Analog and Digital capture.

I do work for Arca-Swiss as their International technical Representative, so I can certainly help answer any Arca-Swiss questions, as well as most all other Large Format questions that might be stymieing you. I taught for 23 years at Scottsdale Community College in Arizona, after receiving an MFA in Photography and the History of Photography from Arizona State University.. I have also taught in China, Antarctica, Europe, South America, and of course all over North America. So if you need a question answered, I might be able to help.
I also do Photography, and use both Film and digital backs for capture.
Rod

Rod Klukas
Arca-Swiss International
480-755-3364 Main
480-206-4770 Mobile

Welcome Rod! That is a unique background you have. I didn’t even know they made Digital backs for large format cameras. They must be $pendy.

I do have one question, not meant as an attack: how is large format still relevant with Super high resolution medium format and 35mm sensors that are out now? Is it the tilt/shift functionality?

I hope to see some of your work soon.

Hello.
LF photography is very relevant for the movements, as you suggested. But also many people are not caught up in the quantity of images, and some like a one shot image that is made right and not, 'Well if I shoot a bunch, one will be Ok and I can fix it later.'
Also every time you work on an image you lose some of the file. Small these days, I admit, with the size of some files from digital cameras. This is especially true for Architectural images, where a lot of the file is lost to correct the lines of a building you had to point up at to have the top of it in the image.

But Arca-Swiss and some others make some cameras allowing use of mirrorless cameras as the capture device, while providing the corrections for converging lines, for instance, and or better compositions. With these cameras perspective can be maintained, and depth of field extended, while altering composition.

For me I find I miss the movements many times for static subjects, when using a hand camera. Many others do not. But for me these are tools that are indespensible.
Many have come to me for lessons, and most at some point come to the place where they tell me they love slower way of working and the quest for the perfected image in the camera.
For them the LF camera makes sense.
Hope this helps you.

Attachments

• EXIF
    Perspective Control.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
Back