DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Why Leica/ Leitz at all?

[What are the Voigtlander and Canon lenses that you use for your M2? Were the M's more expensive than they are now?]

[Thank you so much, Justin. I really appreciate your prompt response. I have an M6 now plus a 50mm 'cron (type 1 rigid chrome, but not dual range) and a 90mm tele-elmarit (1st version black). I just bid a 35mm 'cron 2nd version. I wonder what is magic about the 8-jade 35mm. Is it single coated? Is it demanding just because it's rare? Have you used 2nd version of 35mm before? How do you think of it? It seems to be of the least elements and the longest body. Thanks again and Happy New Year!]

Dear Yang Yang,

Regarding the first question, I do not have any Voigtländer or Canon lenses.

The M2 I bought as a student after the M4 was introduced. A dealer was clearing M2 & M3 stock at reduced prices and it was all I could afford (US$180.00). It is hard to say whether cameras were more expensive then. They appeared to be, but then I was earning a student's income!

The Summicron 1:2/50 (Typ I rigid) you have is optically identical to the dual-focus. Your lens has the advantage of being noticeable lighter than the DF.

The 1:2,8/90 Tele-Elmarit (1st version) is a beautiful lens and the one I use when the 1:2/90 Summicron is too heavy and bulky; e.g. walking.

Regarding the 1:2/35 Summicron (II), I bought this lens new in 1971 and thought it was good but not outstanding. In fact I preferred the 1:2,8/35 Summaron I sold to a friend so I looked around and bought a new "old" eight element 1:2/35 Summicron and slod the (II). Of the many lenses I have owned the eight element is the only one which the lab I use for large colour prints asks "What lens did you take that with?". To answer your question what do you intend to photograph with the 1:2/35?

Kind regards,

Justin

[Dear Justin,

Thank you very much for your mail. It seems that I have to deposit for a=20 8-element 35mm... What is the reasonable price do you think for a good=20 used one? How do you think about 35mm/f2 (IV)? Cameraquest recommends it=20 as a Bokeh King, esp. the one made in Canada.

Best Regards and Happy New Year, Yang]

Dear Yang Yang,

For a very good Canadian 8 element I would suggest around US$1,000.00.

The Canadian 1:2/35 Summicron (IV) "Bokeh King" around US$750.00.

As an all-rounder and if I were starting again the "Bokeh King" would be my preference, particularly as the 8 element is now over-priced (US$120.00 in 1968) due to collectors.

With the "Bokeh King" and the Tele-Elmarit you photograph 90% of everything. Also take no notice of the Canada/Wetzlar nonsence. I have never been able to distinguish any difference both optically or mechanically.

Happy New Year.

Justin

> The M2 I bought as a student after the M4 was introduced. A > dealer was > clearing M2 & M3 stock at reduced prices and it was all I > could afford > (US$180.00). It is hard to say whether cameras were more > expensive > then. They appeared to be, but then I was earning a student's > income! =================================================================

If you multiply the 1967/68 price by 13 you will see the equivalent price in today's US$s. That factor is how much the US Gov't has deliberately devalued the dollar over the years. I know it does not match the "official" statistic but the gov't is not known for being the most truthful entity.....

The Australian dollar is even worse. The M2 actually cost me AUD$200.00. An M6/7 today is approximately AUD$4,500.00, admittedly with metering added.

OK! Now that I have your attention--as the intro to this section is WHAT ARE YOUR NEEDS? I am requesting your (non-sarcastic) suggestions about my up-coming two week guided tour of France and about which lens, for my R8, to bring. I will NOT take pictures from the tourbus window nor will I "snap" Notre Dame. My lens options are: 50/1.2, 35-70/4, 21-35/3.5 4.5 and 80-20/4, and finally, I might have a 2X extender as an option. Question: Which two lens to take? Or, which three to take? Bear in mind that I am a senior citizen with some photographic smarts. I have toured enough to know that I want to keep the pounds of equipment down. Soo, tell me.

Dear Clarence,

We had a similar but unguided tour of France in July/August. The 1:4/35-70 was essential and the Minilux with fast fim (Provia 400) vital for dynamic and interior shots. All the rest was luxury and with hindsight unnecessary.

Have a great trip.

Justin

Back