DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Why Leica/ Leitz at all?

After months of deliberation, I think I'm ready to take the Leica plunge. I'm posting this hoping to get feedback that either confirms my choice or steers me in the right direction.

I think I will go for the M6 TTL (Not sure about silver or black yet)

I'm thinking of going for a 50mm lens for starters as my photography is varied and I figure the 50mm will be more versatile than 35mm or 90mm (probably summicron f2/50mm)

I have a few questions though:
1. Is the Summilux f1.4/50mm much better than the summicron?
2. Should I go with aspherical or not?
3. Should I still consider a 35mm lens?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Graeme

Hi Graeme:

Great question that we recently discussed. Get prepared for many opinions, all of which are correct. Mine: Get the TTL model for those rare occasions when you want/need flash. Color is up to you...either glitter or stealth. The Summicron 50 is the logical place to start, and is a great lens for the dollar. I do not think you need the 1.4. A 35mm can be added, and one of the older 2.0 Summicrons is a great bargain. Yes the Asph is probably "better', but would you notice the difference in every-day applications? Alternately, the TriElmar can handle virtually all of your needs, but the 4.0 speed might be somewhat slow. However, modern faster films can make up any short-fall in speed.

Bests, and let us know how you make out.

Graeme,

Your choice for a M6 TTL couldn't be wrong. Titanium is a better choice, but that, of course, depends on personal preference.

Based on the reference that I have, here are the answers:

1) The Summilux f1.4/50mm. has been reliable when shooting against the light, with great freedom from reflections and flare. Performance at f1.4 is remarkably good. Summicron would have better edge definition at f2 and f2.8 but from f4 to f16, it would be difficult distingushing between them on any normal subject. The Summilux is lightly bulkier and heavier than the Summicron. Latest version, introduced in 1995 focuses to 0.7 m., has a bult-in collapsible lens hood, takes an E46 filter and is available in black or titanium finish.

2 and 3) Aspherical is very special. The edge definition and contrast at wide apertures are outstanding. The lens is much heavier and bulkier than the 35mm. Summicron. Even more so when fitted with its lens hood. It is expensive too, but if you want outstanding performance, 35 mm. f1.4 Summilux ASPH is your lens.

Every photographer has different interests and priorities and choosing lenses is very personal. But whichever Leica lenses you choose, they will be capable of producing images of highest quality.

Regards,

vjc
Bangkok, Thailand

Hello everyone! I am looking for a leica with TTL in addition to the digilux (of which I have yet to purchase). Light, small and TLL. Reading, it looks as though the M6 is a good choice. What are the differerences between Leica and Contax other than place of making. This professional wedding photographer is looking forward to doing her own artwork.
happy.gif

Cathy
Atlanta, Georgia USA

Hi Graeme;

Here's my humble opinion -

M6TTL - finish is your personal choice. I like black as it makes the M6 look like a non-threatening & inexpensive point & shoot when on the street, but other than that minor point, I think all of the M6 finishes look nice.

50mm - The Summilux is the only current 50mm I haven't used.

Can't go wrong with the Summicron - it's a really great 50mm, I think one of the finest. It's compact, light & with a handle, easy to focus. The previous barrel design (I think they stopped making it in '95 or so) had a focusing handle & separate hood, and it's lighter too, but the optical formula is the same as the current one. If you can find a nice one, go for it.

The current version is a little heavier, no handle (I had one attached) & built-in sliding hood, but I find its focusing action to be really, really smooth. Ask yourself if you really need the extra stop that the Summilux provides. If not, go with the Summicron.

The other 50mm lens I have is the Noctilux, but I would NOT recommend that as your first Leica M lens! It's big, heavy, the focusing barrel is relatively stiff. Great lens when you need f/1, but for everything else its overkill.

35mm ASPH Summilux - haven't used the 35mm ASPH Summicron, but I had the 35mm ASPH Summilux & the previous 35mm Summicron.

I agree with Vajirune - the ASPH Summilux is truly a great lens. I also agree that it's quite large compared to the previous 35mm Summicron. Handling the previous 35mm Summicron with its compact size & hood was really easy. It can even hang underneath an open jacket on an M camera & it's difficult for others to see whether you're carrying a camera or not.

50 + 35? I used to use the classic spread of 35, 50 & 90 lenses. With 35mm, first I had the older Summicron, then the Summilux ASPH. However, a few years ago, I acquired the 24mm ASPH. I found that I used the 50mm & 24mm almost all the time (with the 50mm getting the lion's share of use).

After that, I sold off the 35mm ASPH & picked up a 90 ASPH. The 35mm & 50mm were just too similar, after I got used to the 24mm.

IMHO, I would choose 50mm OR 35mm, but not both. When you settle on one lens as your base, that focal length dictates what makes sense for your next lens(es).

If the base lens is a 50mm, then (for me), I like supplementing it with a 24mm, & a 90 or 135mm.

If I had chosen the 35mm instead, then a 21mm & 75 or 90mm would work well.

Of course, the other alternative is to buy every focal length available for the M
happy.gif

...but that would be rather heavy to lug around!

Cathy;

The M6TTL & the Digilux are very different types of cameras, and as such I think they complement one another.

I purchased a Digilux for the studio that I run last summer. We were thinking that it would be a good camera for scouting location shots, reference photos, etc, but that it wouldn't be good enough for our actual photography (we use four Phase1 backs on Blads). Surprisingly, the quality of the Digilux is nice enough that we're now using it for smaller shots as well as backgrounds in our main shots.

One thing our photographers found annoying with the Digilux was the long, labourious manual. Most of them didn't want to bother reading it, yet you really have to in order to get the most out of the camera. Also, while it's proven to be a very nice digital camera, we're probably going to move onto the Nikon Coolpix 5000/5700, for the more versatile range in zoom & lens attachments.

The M6TTL on the other hand, is really easy to adapt to if you know the basics of photography. Other than reading the short section on the TTL flash & compatible strobe units, the M6 is "same as it ever was". If you can operate a manual camera, you can operate an M6.

Thanks Macro for your assistance. How many mgpx are the blad backs you use? I recently saw an ad for one at 22 mgpx. Regarding the Nikon 5700, a guy at B&H suggested the overall quality of the Minolta or Sony 717 (zeiss glass on the Sony) is better. Just an FYI, based only on what he said when I was looking at digital cameras.

I look forward to using a manual camera again. Every now and then, I get the 1973 Nikormat out of the case for a "back to basics" feel. I'm sure the Leica is the beginning of a long addiction. Cathy

Hi Cathy;

We're currently using five PhaseOne digital backs for our Blads. Four of them are the PhaseOne H10 model. The newest version of that is 11 mgpx. Our fifth PhaseOne is an H20, which is 16 mgpx.

These are all tethered systems (ie, you have to use it connected to a computer), so we rarely ever take them out of the studio. If we do, we hook 'em up to a G4 Ti laptop.

I've heard good things about the Minolta & Sony over the Nikon as well. Getting the Nikon (as well as the Leica Digilux) is more about the overall convenience of the camera than ultimate quality. For that, we use the above Phase One backs. At our studio, we tend to treat the prosumer cameras more as a convenience camera, for small shots & b'grnds as I mentioned previously.

We probably won't get the 5700 tho' - the lens range on the 5000 is more useful for us (goes to eq. of 28mm, instead of 33mm on the 5700). Plus, if we need telephoto, it has some decent telephoto extenders (one of them is ED glass).

The 5700 has a wide-angle attachment, but it's the size of a grapefruit! (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit..). So overall, the 5000 is the better choice for our specific needs.

I take it you've bought the M6TTL? How is it going so far?

I am so enjoying these conversations, even when just listening in. Since moving 1100 miles 1.5 years ago, I have yet to meet other photographers, when before the move I was in the middle of knowing everyone. This is a good place to talk with people of like interest.

Yes, I am in the process of buying the M6TTL. It's on lay away from my long trusted friend and dealer from where I lived before. I wasn't going to put any $ into new equipment until the rest of the $ from last year's weddings came in, but then with the TTL being discontinued, I thought I'd better just do what I can to get one before they are all gone. Fortunately, Dave, who has been part of my equipment decisions since 1994, is also the owner of the store.

3 of my brides are working on their "album" orders and two have already begun sending me orders via my website on the first images for the albums. These three weddings alone, should finish paying for the body and one if not two lenses. I am looking forward to getting some distance from the A2 and N I've hauled around for 9 years. They are in serious need of cleaning.

A few days ago, I decided to do a FEW weddings this year, not completely retiring from wedding photography, in order to pay for more Leica equipment. There was a comment from someone I think in Hong Kong last week which pretty much sums up how I feel about getting into Leica "Smile in Heart". Who knows, enough $ may come in to get my first digital as well?

Hey Cathy;

That's great that you've reserved an M6TTL. Have you settled on your lens choice yet?

Is this your first high-end rangefinder? If so, one thing to remember is to spend a lot of time using it before making a final judgement on it, esp. if you've been using SLR's for a long time.

I first started on an SLR when I was a kid, that my dad bought me (a Pentax ME Super). I got interested in Leicas as I was endlessly fascinated by the work of Cartier-Bresson, Koudelka & Meyerowitz from looking at their street photography in my high school library. I saved up for a year (working parttime) to buy my first used M3 (about $500 US in '82). It took me another year to buy my first 50mm Summicron.

I remember that it was a very different shooting experience from the automated Pentax SLR that I had. It took me a while to get used to it, but eventually I realized where the Leica was really strong (spontaneous, fast, low-key shooting with normal to wide lenses) & where the SLR is best (focal lengths over 135mm, motorized shooting, flash,etc).

By giving the rangefinder a chance, I realized that it complements my SLR gear, rather than completely replacing it.

Back