DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Help on lens

aravind_phd

" I am going to buy a nikon F80 Camera, and the supplier is giving me a option of choosing lens
Nikon 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 lens and Tamron AF28-105mm F/4-5.6 lens" which one to choose?

Hi there,

As a long time photographer, I would suggest that you test both lenses prior to purchase, if possible. I have an F80 myself and I think it's a nice every-day type of camera, but I also think that you might consider spending a bit more for better optics. I am also a long time user of Nikkor lenses, so please forgive me, but I suggest that you check out the Nikkor 24-85 AFS-G and 24-120 AFS-G VR lenses. These are more expensive, but the improved optics should last you a long time and provide some very nice images. I don't know much about the Tamron lens, but the Nikkor 28-80 may not be the best choice based on reviews. In any event, at the end of the day it depends on what type of images you want to take. There are a lot of shooters in this forum who may have specific experience & opinions on these and other lenses, so look at what other users have to say. Good luck and good shooting!

Greg

If you haven't already gone through with your purchase, I'll give my two cents. I'm assuming the Nikon lens is a G lens, the one that comes with every Nikon body down to the F55. It is not a bad lens but it certainly is not up to par with the body that you're interested in. The feature set of the F80 seems to have earned the body the 'semi-pro' status.
On the other hand, I think there is some value in progressing towards better lenses so that one appreciates the improvement of better glass. With this in mind, and assuming that you would want to upgrade your lens at some point, perhaps the Tamron would be better as it might afford you the opportunity to experience a wider range of focal lengths. I'm not convinced that there would be a tremendous difference in terms of optical quality from these particular s&les from Nikon and Tamron.

Thanks so much for the replies!!!! But as of today I think I'm going to buy the FM3A. I am used to manual and really don't want all the automatic stuff so since it doesn't come with a lenses I'm looking at manual focus lenses. But I sure appreciate the input and will consider everything mentioned. THANKS!!!!!

Hi, I am trying to justify spending $1200- $1300 for the new AF-S 17-55G ED F 2.8 lens for my D100 camera. I am presenty usin my AF35-75D 2.8 lens that I have had for 12 years. This will be my first G lens. I wonder if this lens is really as good as I think it is. Anyone who has this lens or can give me any new info. on this lens I appericiate it .

Back