DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

D70 vs D100

Can anybody tell me if the d70 has a pentaprism or penta-mirror, I can't seem to get an accurate spec in regards to this feature. Some sites say pentaprism and others say penta-mirror. It blows me away that in this day in age of total information no one knows for sure,even nikon seems to be confused on this matter, stating one or the other on different brochures!!!!!For gods sake can some one shed some light on this issue.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70.htm

Here is a review...and I agree with the reviewer....he dosnt know either...but the question is....does it work?

Guess sheding some light on it is my best advice....go take a look....does it work?

You'll have your answer.....or if you want, I will have mine next week (got a call from the company letting me know my unit will be early next week) and I'll post wether it is an issue (want to do a test on longer exposures with mirror slap...to see if that is an issue (which if it isnt the heavier unit, it might reduce vibration, and that might be the reason why)

Roman

Vince, et al -

From www.nikonusa.com, this is an excerpt viewable on line in tech specs for the D70 camera -

" Viewfinder: Fixed-eyelevel penta-Dach-mirror type; built-in diopter adjustment (-1.6 to +0.5 m -1) "

Let's hope their PR folks know a mirror from a "prism schism" :)

Big Jim

Yo Big Jim

Your right that nikonusa site states that it is a pentamirror, but nikon UK site states it is a pentaprism and the brochure at the camera retailer Henrys here in toronto states it is a pentaprism, also I just read the pre-review at Stevesdigicams and he alludes to the fact that it is a pentaprism. Now guys and gals I really don't care one way or the other. It would a bonus if it is a prism, but as stated, as long as it is bright enough thats fine with me. Is it possible they are making two seperate models, one for Europe the other for North America? Or just an error on thier part?

Have any of the retailers recieved them yet? I placed a pre-order with Adorama. They told me that it might not ship till the beginning of April. I don't think I can wait that long. I am literally salivating for this camera. I hope that I'm not dissapointed.

Jose

Ritz is already shipping their first wave of pre-orders. I called my local dealer where I have my order (a privatly owned but larger local retailer) and they called Nikon to check on their order and looks like 7-10 days before they arive from the east coast...(Im west coast).

So they are out there. Tip, if you have the cash on hand....go to DPreview and watch the postings for a few hours...(like once every 10-15 min) and people post where some dealers have a few in stock....and you might snag one early....me...im excited...but fine...will wait for my shop...they have been pretty good to me.

If you wait...shouldnt be long....second wave will ship soon.

Roman

I just cancelled my order with one firm and bought it from B&H as they have them in stock now. I am VERY excited to see that package arrive Wednesday!

Kent....I think your gonna love it. Just got mine today....and I am thrilled. Having been nikon all my time in photography, the camera has a pretty quick learning curve. I cant wait to put a honkin huge zoom on the end...(about 2 weeks out) now just gotta go through lens reviews to find the right one.

Oh...and a macro too......while the kit lens is awesome.....It aint even close to bein a macro..

Wooo hooo.....off I go a shootin....if you dont hear from me in a months time....send out a search party.
biggrin.gif

Roman

Back