CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Which SuperWide to buy

fergisan

In another thread I asked for advice regarding the Sigma 15-35mm f/3.5-4.5 vs. the Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8. Now I find great reviews on the Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8.

HELP!!!!

I want a good super-wide for my Maxxum 9 and I just can't afford the $1000+ price tag for the Minolta 17-35mm f/3.5 G. I don't care how good it is, I can't afford it.

Do any of you have ANY opinion as to my other choices, even those I haven't listed. Is wider better? Is faster better?

Help me please!!

Brett Ferguson

peterblaise

>

Hi Brett,

Personally, I'm scared of Sigma's AF lenses incompatibility with Minolta AF cameras across the board, and any moneys would be an "expense" and not an "investment". However, I know Sigma makes some unique lenses. What to do, what to do ... ?

The two lenses you mention are different enough to stymie me, too - either a wide focal length range including 15mm and 0.643856 stop slower or a 0.643856 stop faster 20mm only.

I think speed is not an issue for hand held, but the ability to frame a composition by zooming and the incredible 15mm vista would clinch it for me.

Tamron makes a Minolta AF compatible 14mm ya know - .

Tamron also has a SP AF20-40mm F/2.7-3.5 Aspherical (IF) and an AF19-35mm F/3.5-4.5

Peter Blaise

>

fergisan

Peter,

Thanks for the response. A few follow-ups if I may ask.

I'm not familiar with the Sigma/Minolta compatability issue, perhaps you could enlighten me.

Also, I'd heard from a couple of sources that Tamron's optics weren't nearly as good as Sigma or Tokina, with Tokina being the best of the three. Am I to understand that you are of a different opinion?

What about Minolta's option? Should I just wait and save for a year? Is it really that much better?

Thanks, as always,

Brett Ferguson

peterblaise

>

My links were cut out - what's WRONG WITH THIS BOARD?!?!?!?!? In order to keep long links from splittin gacross lins, use the "less-than/greater-than" symbols as in "" ... UNLESS EVEN THIS HINT GOT EDITED OUT!!!

I'll try again:

Hi Brett,

Personally, I'm scared of Sigma's AF lenses incompatibility with Minolta AF cameras across the board, and any moneys would be an "expense" and not an "investment". However, I know Sigma makes some unique lenses. What to do, what to do ... ?

The two lenses you mention are different enough to stymie me, too - either a wide focal length range including 15mm and 0.643856 stop slower or a 0.643856 stop faster 20mm only.

I think speed is not an issue for hand held, but the ability to frame a composition by zooming and the incredible 15mm vista would clinch it for me.

Tamron makes a Minolta AF compatible 14mm f/2.8 ya know -
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Tamron also has a SP AF20-40mm F/2.7-3.5 Aspherical (IF)
and an AF19-35mm F/3.5-4.5

Peter Blaise

>

H

honenshonin

I have Tamron's AF19-35 f/3.5-4.5; it's a handy little lens, very lightweight, and cheap. I can't complain about the image quality. For traveling, I can take that lens (19-35), the Tamron 28-300, and my Minolta 50mm prime (for extra-good quality and low-light shots). The whole system is incredibly lightweight, and my Maxxum 7 allows me to change film mid-roll so I don't even need a separate body for different film types.

The Minolta 17-35 is most likely an incredible lens, but it certainly does seem way overpriced for an f/3.5.

The Tamron 19-35 is great, but if it's superwide you're looking for, the 15-30 is probably fantastic. However, I don't think you can use filters with it. That would be a major drawback for me.

P

picturetaker

I got A 2,8 20mm from Minolta. Also because the 17-35mm Zomm was too expensive. And the wide angle zoom lens wont ever bee as good as the 2,8 20mm.
I also would think about to get a Contax G21mm Biogon lens wich cant be beaten with a G1 or G2 Camera.
For that monney you save buying a zoom you can invest in a nice Holyday or a Digital Camera.

alexlex

There is no reason why would anyone be scared of Sigma lens. I have couple of them and all I can advise to you is try them an love them.
No compatibility problems, superb finish (EX series), excellent price/value ratio.
Recomended - 10-20mm and 12-24mm. Both are just great lenses.