DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Scanners

Didzis,
Thanks for that. It is a very interesting, indeed facinating article. Erik seems a very knowledgeable chap. I haven't fully investigated his site yet but will have look at it soon.
Even I could understand his explanation and it does explain the time taken to scan. I think I will stick with my Mark 1.
Thanks again,
John

John!
There are lots of old wives tales about photography circulating on the net. One of these, potentially, is that Elite 5400 (original) is better for B/W than the version II. Yet I have not found any posting or reference on the internet by someone who has actually USED both these scanners for B/W emulsions and compared results to prove that the original version is better. I would love to see s&les of the same b/w film shot scanned on both these scanners. But... That said, as I stated in my previous post, I tend to believe Erik on this.

Hi Didzis,
I must say Eric does sound authoratively knowledgeable but it would be interesting to see a side by side comparison as you say. I have heard though that the Mark II is not as reliable and has horrible plastic internal parts.I would welcome more speed though.
I have been wondering about the new Epson 4990 for scanning my medium format stuff. I think i am going to concentrate on medium format for film and maybe go digital to replace my 35mm gear. I have an aging CanoScan D2400U which is OK for MF but improvements are always welcomed and unfortunately there is no way I can afford one of the very expensive scanners.

Hi John, you may like to add the CanoScan 8400F to your list of inexpensive scanners. I've used it with 645 film and it has been remarkably proficient given its relatively low cost. Its been pretty good too with my old 35mm slides and is a great flat bed. Why not check it out.

Graham

Hi Graham,
Thank you for that. I will investigate the Canon as well. I have been very pleased with my Canon and am used to the software so that is definitely a thought.
Cheers,
John

Back