DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

How do I use closeup & macro filters

G

Hi everyone,
I have discovered some macro filters & close-up lenses within our camera equipment bags & have no idea about how to use them. When I afix them to a lense (e.g. 50mm), I can't focus at all. Does this mean I need extension tubes? I'm a total newbie in this department, so any tips will be mostly appreciated.
Also I'd be interested to hear any stories about using macro/close-up lenses - are they worthwhile? Can you get a decent shot using them or are they a disappointment?

Lisa.

Hi Lisa, Close-up filters are a cheap way to go macro. Most of them introduce essential aberrations that can be seen even on small prints.

I think you could not focus just because the lens with such a filter can be focus only at subjects that are closer than a certain limit. For ex&le 1 diopter would allow focusing only closer than 1 meter from the filter, 2 diopter - closer than 0.5 meters, etc.

Hope this helps, Sergei

Close up filters and tubes make the same job, allow you to be closer to your subject; the price you have to pay is that you can't focus at infinity. I love macro and i have to say that yes you can obtain good shoot; usally close up filter are used with medium tele (85-135) but pay attention if the close up filter are not of good quality some aberration may be present.

Just a point of clarification. These are properly referenced as Close up Lenses and Extension Tubes, not filters. Filters only filter something out(and it's not distance).
It is unfortunate that many consumer photo. magazines also call Close Up lenses close up filters' an unfortunate misnomer.
Colin

Thanks for your help everyone. Sergei, your tip worked - a close-up 3+ works wonders on a 135mm lense. I have another though - B&W 10+ macro - do you know what kind of lense I should be using this with, can't seem to focus on anything at all.

Hello,

+10 should allow focussing only closer than 10 cm from the close-up lens. Probably, this could be more useful with wideangles.

Sergei

With a +10 close-up lense mounted on, say, Sonnar 2.8/135 (minimal focusing range 1.6 m) you can focus only at distances of about 9.4 - 10.0 cm (numbers are not precise), this range is very short. When using lenses with closer focus limits this range becomes more usable, say, about 7 - 10 cm for Distagon 2.8/28 (minimal focusing range 0.25 m).

Sergei

Back