DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

D70 locks out with bCHKb displayed

K

kiwiwebs

Hi I'm new here and joined to get an answer to a feature of D70 which puzzles and frustrates me. My camera will fail to release the shutter and displays a blinking 'CHK' message in the LCD control panel (in the no. of exposures position) with no apparent reason - i.e. there's power in battery, there's space on card. Turning the camera off, then back on seems to solve, but this is v. annoying when you're following action.
Any suggestions please?

-->My camera will fail to release the shutter and displays a blinking 'CHK' message in the LCD control panel (in the no. of exposures position) with no apparent reason <--

Jon, According to the user manual, the CHK error occurs when the camera can't access the card, can't create a new folder or the card isn't formatted for the D70. A reformat of the card, from within the camera *might* solve the problem. If you have another memory card, perhaps you should try it?

I had a similar problem with the CHK error, but in my case it was because (apparently) there were some bent pins in the memory card slot. :eek:( In my case, the camera wouldn't even allow me to use the card at all. Cycling the camera on/off cleared the error, but as soon as I attempted to take a photo, the error returned. My camera required repair by Nikon.

I hope you don't have the same issue I had. Maybe you can get a good flashlight and look in the card slot and see if you can see any bent pins?

Please let us know what solves the issue for you.

grasshopper

> Many thanks Grasshopper - why didn't I think of looking in the manual? - dur. Looks like it's CHR, not CHK - wonder what that stands for? Anyway, no sign of bent pins, so I guess it's over to Nikon - it happens too often for me to get over it. I'll let you know. Thanks again. Jon

Back