DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

GM5 Nut case

Tom Caldwell

Well known for advocating the GM5 and making the unfortunate suggestion that the GM5 can be used with any lens that can be attached to the M4/3 mount.

Even tried the camera body adapted to an EF 400/2.8 MkI - this is the heaviest lens of the EF 440/2.8 series and arguably one of the heaviest if not the heaviest of the EF lens series bar none at 5.5Kg. I can do a macho man and wave this 'thing' bravely about hand held for a second or two but normally it does go on a gimbal head tripod when it become 'magic'. But it does take some care getting it up on and off the tripod.

Of course the GM5 added was just for a laugh - but surprisingly the GM5 battery was strong enough to pull AF on this lens quite serenely.

Usually I would attach some larger body these days. Once the camera body was the Canon 5D dslr with battery grip for a long session and more recently the Panasonic G9 with its large grip that is more realistic.

Hi Tom,

the Lumix GM5 is a marvel. I bought mine years ago, because I needed something as small as possible for the hotel-safes during business travels. I was so stupid to sell it one year later. But a couple of months ago, I was able to buy one again second hand. In red!

I love it!

Yes I have a Red one - it was last in stock from an Australian on-line dealer who gave me a little bit more off because it had been a shop demonstrator.

Works just as well as the black ones.

I did realise that it was quite likely not to be directly replaced and that they were not going to get any cheaper when still new - so I bought a stake in history. But I am as surprised as anyone that the asking price of second hand ones has climbed and keeps climbing.

As long as there is no direct replacement of course.

Having ignored the G100 as a 'video based camera body' the local price has dropped recently - maybe just an Australian distributor overstocking sale. In any case the price reached tempting level and I have found another 'overlooked' camera that is well worth buying if the price is considered 'right'.

The G100 is based on a lot of GM5 components (vaguely and others might completely disagree) but it is not a direct replacement for the GM5. It sits in another category which I would consider as entry level supercharged and I think its common 20mp sensor should really be able to match the image quality of more expensive bodies - something that it shares with the GM5 sensor position when it was first launched.

I quickly overcame the marketing emphasis on its video side, but only after buying and finding that lcd screen fixed outward and a stills-friendly setup in the menu and 'voila' its a great little high performance stills camera at a quite reasonable price.

Not so much a GM5-beater but a really good value GX9 alternative with fewer user conveniences but keeping all the necessities that a present day useful stills camera might need. G9? Yes its right up there and in contrast to the GX9 the G100 out sizes (its much smaller) the G9 physical size equation. But if you need a meaty grip then the brilliant G9 is the only way to travel with Panasonic.

But the G100 does not have an EVF, does it?
The G100 has a viewfinder hump, which is one thing I don't like about it.

The GM5 on the other hand, I can't get on with the lack of a tilting screen. Which is a pity, because it's a marvel otherwise. (Apart from the lack of DFD.) If I'd found the GM5 in 2014, I'd probably have gone with that, instead of LF1 compacts.

But the G100 does not have an EVF, does it?
It does actually have quite an impressive evf which sits up on top faux-dslr style. I would rather the RF-style positioning with a flat top shape.

But I recognise that it is not even nearly in the GM5 class-style of camera with a body much he smae size as the GX9 and the added bulk of the evf on top,

One of the complaints levelled at the GM5 and GX9 and other cameras that used the technology is the Field Sequential evf - which is mainly criticised as being 'too small'. Myself this has not worried me and I can swap between GM5, GX9 and even the huge G9 evf and hardly notice the practical difference.

The GM5 allows clear as a bell image re-sizing right up to its maximum size. Can default to any preset magnification with a tap on th lcd with thumb or a click on th erear wheel. The magnification can be adjusted instantly on the fly by scrolling the rear wheel. I would caution tht the GM5 does not respond well to my liking with PIP (Picture in Picture) magnified centre as this is indeed far too small to be useful. So I set my GM5 camera to full screen and this works very well.

The G100 has a viewfinder hump, which is one thing I don't like about it.

The GM5 on the other hand, I can't get on with the lack of a tilting screen. Which is a pity, because it's a marvel otherwise. (Apart from the lack of DFD.) If I'd found the GM5 in 2014, I'd probably have gone with that, instead of LF1 compacts.
The only way to product place the G100 is as a tiny G9 without the flashy trimmings. It is close to the GX9 in size and with a RF-stuyle flat top body one might wonder why Panasonic was selling two cameras into the same class of use. Except that the G100 was 'rah, rah, .... bang drum and cymbals ....video, video video!' something that put me off for quite a while.

Now I find it a very good, affordable, fairly compact (but not very small), camera that can be easily set up as a stills type camera.

Look at it as 'humpy' GX9 or miniature G9 in either case a camera with the essential frills only and the same sensor at a very do-able price.

Maybe the GM series could have a tilting screen and probably the first GF7 was such a camera that you might have missed. The updated annually to the GX850 and then a hiatus until the G100 tried another marking tack.

The original GM1/5 was designed to be high quality and as small as possible - there had to be many design compromises and a tilting lcd was one that I quite gladly did without.

The only way to product place the G100 is as a tiny G9 without the flashy trimmings. It is close to the GX9 in size
I've never actually touched A G100, but it definitely looks much more GX850 in size, than GX9 size. I have both of those, and I find the GX9 much too big. Here's some handy comparisons. In the absence of a GX850 replacement, I've been wondering how I'd get on with a G100. But in the meantime, I've gone for an E-PL7 instead, without the hump, the G100 is much the same size.

GX850-100.jpg

G100 vs GX850

GX850-9.jpg

GX850 vs GX9

G100-9.jpg

G100 vs GX9

"Well known for advocating the GM5"

That's news to me, never noticed :z04-head-wall:

It's one camera I wish I had or at least tried. All the best your way and I guess your fetish had to come out sooner or later ;)

Danny.

The G100 is based on a lot of GM5 components (vaguely and others might completely disagree) but it is not a direct replacement for the GM5. It sits in another category which I would consider as entry level supercharged and I think its common 20mp sensor should really be able to match the image quality of more expensive bodies - something that it shares with the GM5 sensor position when it was first launched.

I quickly overcame the marketing emphasis on its video side, but only after buying and finding that lcd screen fixed outward and a stills-friendly setup in the menu and 'voila' its a great little high performance stills camera at a quite reasonable price.

I knew you needed another camera, Tom! :daumenhoch-smilie:

Next up, how about an S5 Mark 2?

Back