DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What is going on with the ZF lenses

grumpoid

Hi all,

We had lots of fanfare before their arrival, a long teaser c&aign, now I hear the 85/1.4 is delayed and production stopped completely..maybe including the 50/1.4, which now seems impossible to get hold of.

What is happening? anyone have firm information? there are even whispers on some web forums that Zeiss are backing out of the ZF line or changing them/ possibly chipping them for wider use with newer Nikon bodies?

Anyone actually have any real info?

Cheers Steve.

ZF 50/1.4 was available in Hong Kong. A shopkeeeper wished to sell one to me last time but I thought I had ZM 50 2 and I declined his offer.

I don't know what is happening, but I believe it could be related to Sony.

When you look at Sony Alpha lens system, there are few Zeiss lenses available. There are 135 1.8 and a zoom. There was no confirmation if Zeiss is making common lenses such as 50 1.4 or 85 1.4 for Sony. As Nikon is one of Sony's major competitor, It would be embarrassing for Zeiss to make lenses for the Nikon system. Sony could be asking Zeiss," hey, you the big boy, which side you are playing ? "

Zeiss made the decision to make lenses for Nikon only because she had nowhere to go. Now she can join the big giant Sony, I should think she is abandoning the ZF system.

Interesting.
I think the fact that there are CZ lenses available for the Alpha system makes the system look very exciting.
The review I have found so far seems favourable.
Maybe there will be an adapter become available too, to let us use our existing CZ lenses as with Canon etc.
The camera appears to have the same sensor as the Nikon D200 which is well thought of.

Just for the record.
I ordered my ZF 50/1.4 for two weeks ago and received it today. As far as I know will Zeiss announce more ZF lenses at Photokina.

Hi Steve,

I checked with Zeiss and the ZF line will definetly not be canceled. As we know with the N-System and Zeiss-Ikon System, it sometimes can takes a little bit longer than expected
happy.gif

Since Sony decided to take the slow road with new DSLRs, The Nikon ZF alternative becomes even more interesting
happy.gif

I have to find a better photo for my profile soon, this one is so ugly...

Hello Dirk,

I own the Nikon AF 50/1.4D. I have not have time right now to do any tests of picture quality.

At the swedish community Fotosidan (in swedish) comparisons have been made between the Zeiss and Nikon 50/1.4. The conclusions drawn from the discussion are that the Zeiss lens is sharper at wide apertures, 1.4 and 2. Minor differencies at 2.8 and equal from 4. Tests were done with a Nikon D2X.

My feeling is that it is easier to focus the Zeiss compared to the Nikon. The Nikon focus from close focus to infinity by turning the focus ring approx 180 degrees, it is 270 degrees for the Zeiss. This makes it easier to achieve correct focus. The build quality is very good and the lens has a solid feel. Reminds of old AIS Nikkors, but not as rock solid as Leica R lenses.

The Zeiss lens does work with matrix metering on my F6, D200 and D2X. Also focus confirmation works on these bodies (and also with Fujifilm S3).

Back