DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Lens Olympus NEEDS to release

I hadn't thought of the idea before but a nice compact 4/3 high quality Contax would be very nice - with ultra fast lenses because of the DOF problem you note. I suppose it would depend upon who manufactured it and the sensor used and so on and of course Zeiss would have to arrange a partnership as Leica has with Panasonic. I doubt if Cosina is up to it but you never know. I can see that Sony might not be too happy and Zeiss obviously have a close relationship with them not only for the Alpha but all the compacts which have CZ lenses.

(Could Sony revive Contax if brand name issues could be resolved?)

Your discussions in 2002 must have been very interesting but that's the trouble with digital; it is all full of uncertainties. It's fine for someone who can experiment with all that is on offer and no doubt great fun. But for those of us who have to consider such an investment very carefully, it is less easy; the more so because we never really expected to have to make a decision like this and were perfectly happy with our film cameras which never really needed replacing despite the best efforts of the manufacturers. Digital with its short lfe cycle must be heaven for them .

In fact if it was not that scanning is such a tedious pain and in order to contribute to a libary you do have to be digital, I would stay with film and the known quantity. When you consider the quality of film and that new improved films are still being produced e.g.the new Provia 400 which is eagerly awaited, the quality which is available relatively cheaply through film is outstanding.

Even taking into account film and processing costs, film may still be better value than digital since many, many films can be used and enjoyed before the cost of a brand new digital system has been reached. And film cameras are now excellent value. Even the superb Nikon F6 is much cheaper than a top of the range digital.

Still, convenience is king and one has to move with the times.

Perhaps the answer is to go 4x5! That still has the edge (unless maybe apparently we are talking a megabucks/pounds Hassie) but none of the convenience.

Sorry if I have gone off topic again.

Best,

John

Hello all,

I have found this new lens from Photokina news.

It looks as though it may solve the problem of there not being a fast "standard" lens for the E system - no indication of cost though. It may help with obtaining the narrower depth of field we were discussing.

http://www.photokina-show.com/0465/leica/slrlens/leicasummiluxlens/

Interesting that the writing on the lens describes itself as Lumix, so there must be a Panasonic version.

John

Considering the cost of Leica's 14-50 -yes, I know it has IS - I shudder to think what this will cost.

I hadn't heard a price yet for the 14-50 but I had suspected it would be pretty dear. Could you let me know the price you have heard?

I thought that since there may be Panasonic version of the new lens, the Panasonic one might be a fair bit cheaper.

It's been a while, John, and I may well be losing it :), but it seems to me it was 1K or more. And given the quality of the Oly lens, that's a hell of a price dif. BUT - If IS buys you two stops of usability...

Yes, thanks BD. A lot of money anyway. Pity they haven't built IS into the new E400. Maybe Olympus will find they can introduce their own IS lenses.

And even more of a pity that the E-400 is European-only. I am particularly intrigued by the press release claim that the low voltage sensor "virtually eliminated noise."

Yes, I cannot understand why the E400 should not be available in the US. I did read some lame sounding excuse along the lines that - well the E500 is a success in the US so we already have what we need. It's very strange and especially so if they really have improved the E system noise bugbear.

The E400 looks to me like the camera I have been waiting for. Surely if it really is so good, they will have to release it in the US, unless you are going to get something still better...

> If Olympus Imaging America really does not import the E-400, you can bet it will be brought in by gray marketeers and it will probably sell well. Problem will be service. Since OIA does not sell it, there'd be no reason for their technicicans to be trained on it. There'd also be no warehouse inventory to handle exchanges. This is all assuming that Olympus does not import it into America. John CPS, Inc. www.zuiko.com

Back