Why Sony / Minolta at all?

dirk

CI-Founder
Hi,

I would like to know why you have choosen Minolta over Nikon, Canon etc. Is it because Minolta introduced the AF first, is it the better price/performance ratio compared to others (a Maxxum 9xi was a really bargain compared to Nikon F4!)etc.?

I do not want to start a Minolta vs. Nikon vs. Canon battle. I would be more interested in your general thoughts for your decision and why you picked Minolta model "A" over Minolta model "B" also why digital and not analog etc.

For a detailed comparison between specific Minolta models, please use the specific camera threads - not this one here.

Dirk

G

> I chose the Maxxum 7 for the incredible information it provides on > exposure: the honeycomb metering EV +/- information is the best > available for optimizing exposure and exposure is the key to > successful photographs.

G

To be entirely honest, I just happened to get my XD-11 handed down to me. As it turned out, I'd been handed down an intuitive, rugged camera that felt entirely natural to shoot. The availability of a wide range of very nice lenses for reasonable prices also has me hooked. That's why when it came time to either replace or repair the camera, I chose to pay the $125 to repair it. After all, I've already spent nearly twice that on a wide angle zoom lens for it.

As a loyal fan of the XD-11, I have to ask... why is there no topic section for the XD series in the manual section of this forum?

G

I started with a X700, a nice and good-looking camera at reasonable price. When the flash started to let me down I changed to the 7000i that I still have (15 years old now). In the meantime I have built up a large collection of lenses for my favorite shooting (bird photography). Most are exclusive and expensive (a 600 mm, a 400 mm and 80-200mm all APO) and a Minolta 9, with many accessories, such as a Macro lens, angle viewfinder IR remote control, ring-flash etc. This is why I stay with Minolta; too costly to change. I hate it, however, that they did not yet bring a good digital SLR onto the market, this would make my life in bird photography a lot more convenient and increase the hit rate, since one real time knows whether the shots succeeded or not. All in all I am very happy with the quality of Minolta, hardly ever had problems (only a 132 PX flash 15 years ago had reliability trouble).

G

I purchased an X-370N when I was in school to learn photography, it was a great, simple, easy to operate camera which gave me good results. As I became more experienced I really wanted DOF preview so I upgraded to an X-700 and I have never looked back, it is so light compared to other SLRs I've handled and like has been mentioned the lenses are ubiquitous and very reasonable.

I use mostly digital at this point (not a Minolta, sorry!) but if I line up a great shot I try to get a couple of frames of it on film as well to have something a little more permanent and capable of standing up to enlargement.

Regards,

Michael

G

Once the photography bug bit me good and hard, I pestered my father into letting me 'borrow' his "Big" camera - a Maxxum 7000 with a 500mm f1.7 lens. Well, this was great for a couple of years, but I needed some more features (spot metering mainly) so I bought an 800si before a trip to Australia. The 7 came out a year later (DOH!) and I'm still trying to get a home equity loan so I can git me one! I love certain Minolta features (flash, ergonomics etc) and I think they have many great lenses that are under-rated (24-105, 100mm macro, 400 mm f4.5). I have to admit that lately I've been considering switching to Canon (IS lenses and D-SLR's) but couldn't afford that anyways, so it's a moot point. I'm hoping Minolta will produce a quality D-SLR soon, and so that by the time I can afford one I won't be required to switch systems.

Another good point (sort of) - there are great deals for used Minolta gear available on the web as a lot of people are switching and dumping Minolta gear. The faithful will be rewarded!

Happy shooting all!

CB

G

Ooops, that would be a 50mm f1.7 lens in my previous post. Even Minolta isn't good enough to make a 500mm f1.7 lens!

CB

G

I started slr photography with a Pentax k1000 and then moved to ME-Super. Both were excellent camers. Then the ME-Super developed problems which could not be repaired in India. while I was looking for another camera I came across the Minolta 7000, with 2 lenses and flash which I bought from a friend of mine. In India we did not have access to good camers at that time and one had to bring it from abroad. This was in 1990. Ever since I have been part of the Minolta family and have nver regretted my decision to switch over to Minolta. Currently I have a 600si, 800si and the 7 and I am enjoying my photography.

Ramesh

G

I do lots of head shots on the run so the wire-less off camera flash capabilities using a Maxxum 9 and 4500HS flashes make it a breeze. I need some advice on their use so if anybody is using this or a Max7 4500HS combination let me know. The manuals are not as clear as thay could be.
Vince

G

It felt the best in my hands. Starting from there 800si to Maxxum 7 and 9 and now Dimage 7i.
They are easier to use and feature rich.
SIMPLY PUT, THE BEST CAMERAS FRO THE PRICE!

G

I bought my 1st camera in 1983. It was the Minolta X700. I read its detailed brochures, handled the camera and bought it.

I did not try Nikon or Canon because their brochures were not easily available and they are more expensive. I also have this feeling (then) that N and C users are a bit snobbish and I came from a humble background.

My X700 has been with me all these years and I love my camera. It has been with me through all my vacation trips. It has never let me down. Well, only one morning in Vancouver but it recovered the next day. Still don't know what happen.

I never regret buying Minolta as Minolta lenses are among the best in the world. Though of course I feel let down as I see Minolta scale down its manual focus lens range.

There are only two other brands I use and they are Yashica FX3 Super and Cosina. The Yashica for its pure mechanical shutter speed and possibility of using Contax lenses, and the Cosina for its ability to use Pentax K lenses.

I am still a staunch Minolta user- having bought X300, AF-Z point and shoot(35/2.8 lens), 7xi, 300si, Dynax 7 and recently Dimage 7i. Minolta products are really classy and value for money.

Happy shooting, everyone!

Hung
Singapore

G

My Dimage 7i is the first Minolta I've owned. I also own Canon and Olympus SLRs and a prewar Leica. I've also owned a Mamiya C33 twin-lens reflex, a Pentax, a couple of Rolleicords, some off-brand stuff, and a few cameras I've forgotten. And back in the '70s, when I was Camera Editor of a magazine, I got to play with many more.

You know what? They're all good.The major brands all got that way by offering good products. What matters most is how well a given camera or lens fits YOUR needs. With interchangangeable-lens cameras, you're forced to develop some brand loyalty, because you're buying into a system. I keep my Olympuses because I have great lenses for them that I cannot afford to duplicate for my more modern Canons, and because they're quicker in situations where manual focus is preferable.

I got the Dimage 7i because it had the widest lens of any digital and because it had manual adjustments available for everything. And because I knew Minolta made good stuff, of course. Had some other camera met my needs better, I'd have gone for that and I'd be writing in some other forum.

At one time, a lot of people bought Nikons because they'd heard Nikons were "the best." Some of them were happy, because Nikons suited their needs, Others were not, because some other camera would have been better for them. Buying on snob appeal is rarely a good idea.

Ivan New Jersey

G

I bought my first Minolta in the early 1970's. It was a new SRT-101. I bought it because I wanted TTL metering and auto lens. Minolta was the least expensive brand that had all those features and had a good reputation.

About 5 years ago I was looking to buy an inexpensive used camera for my young son. I had thought that I would buy a manual camera. They were all very expensive, so I bought a used Minolta 5000AF with the 35-70 f/4 lens. It was the first AF SLR that I had used. It became a "share toy" (Dad gets to use it also).

Even though the 5000 is not the worlds greatest AF camera, I became convinced that AF was very useful (my eyes aren't getting better as I get older). But I felt that I wanted at least aperture priority. I looked around at different brands (only had the one lens) but decided that the XTsi offered me the best features for the money (Minolta's tend to do that). After a while as I got more into photography again, I felt there were some limitations to the XTsi that I didn't like (one in particular is that there is no exposure meter for use in manual exposure mode). I made a list of things that I wanted.

Since I only had 2 lenses at the time (28-105 and 35-70) I again looked around at different brands and different models. I decided to buy a used 800si and started saving up for it (although there were somethings about the 800si that I didn't care for (particularly the need to change settings behind the side door). As my eyes get older, my near vision requires that I take off my glasses to see small near things which would be annoying on the 800si. As I was saving up, Minolta released the maxxum 7. That camera had all of the things on my list and some things that I had just dreamed about (honeycomb display, DOF scale on the LCD, and others). So I bought it. Now I have a few more lenses: Minolta 35-70 f/4, 24-105 (D), 50mm f/1.7, and 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 and a Quantaray (Sigma) 135-400.

I had kept my manual focus SRT101 and 3 lenses (55mm, 28mm, 135mm) through the years. In the past year I also found a used X570 at my local dealer and bought it along with a 360PX, and MD1. Additionally, I bought the Minolta 70-210 f/4 and a used 35-70 no-name zoom.

Tom

G

I'm posting this here because I get bounced from other threads.
I registered for the Photo Gallery several days ago and never got an activation number.
When I try to log in I get an error messages.
I'd like to start uploading pictures. What gives?
Vince B.

G

I bought second hand camera 8700i from Hong Kong camera shoper half a year ago, in this period I used this nice camera to take many excellent pictures, I really love my 8700i just like my second wife,although it is a old type one (95% new),its better function and accurate focus...attracted me to us it and traveled many place with it. unfortunately,something was wrong in this camera, the mirror inside the camera could not replace. I took it to Minolta Hong Kong Limited on 24 Feb 2003 , Mr.Zong who deals with customer service interviewed me warmly. Very disappointed for me after waited half a month anxiously when I asked whether my camera is ok,someone in your Hong Kong co,. told me that no parts (winding base plate set)for this old type camera in store.Sadness and surprise in my mind. I don't understand why the world famous MINOLTA could not solve this small problem, why so late they told me this camera cann't be repaired,if for the reason of camera is too old they may refuse to accept this service at the beginning , in other words 8700i is not too old to repire.I am a loyal Minolta customer, I don't like to sea 8700i died under this case.
I also worry about some machines were damaged by repairer but I coult not know.
this is Minolta customer service!!!!

G

I was given a 7000 and have kept upgrading and adding equipment. To heavily invested in cords, flashes, lenses etc. to switch brands. The 9 is an awesome camera. But I think that no pro digital is really going to hurt them. Sigma just came out with a 70-300 2.8 zoom, that they aren't even offering in a Minolta mount. They say there is no market for it. Too bad.
Mike

G

A SRT 101b was my first Minolta camera (on 1976). Since then I never thought about another brand. The next ones were a XD7, a X700, 5xi and now a Maxxum 7.
They are all great, but my heart still belongs to the XD7.
GOD bless you all!