DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Well...there's an honest post!!! Can you tell us which Contax you use, and in which situations you might find one camera more suitable then the other? Continued good shooting,

Hi William,

>>> but I would like to say that I use both Leica and Contax, and they both make great cameras and lenses! >>>

Me too!. When people ask me what lenses or which camera do I prefer, I always reply: "Both!!". I use the Contax G1 with 28mm Biogon, 45mm Planar and 90mm Sonnar. For the Leica part, I use both a Leica Ic and a IIIf with 21mm Voigtländer, 35mm Summaron, 50mm Summicron and 90mm Elmar. Probably there is an M2 in my future, too

>>> Can you tell us which Contax you use, and in which situations you might find one camera more suitable then the other? >>>

Elliot, both Leicas give a better "decisive moment". Please, visit the following picture taken with my IIIf:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1330986&size=lg

Only a meters away from me there was a person shooting his F5 at 8 fps. I'm sure I got a better image than him. I also would like to point out that the Ic, old as it is (back from 1938) offers a nice viewfinder that allows you to watch what's happening outside the frame.

On the other hand, AF helps some time (the G1 is not hard to manually focus, although) and the motorwind is a godsend in some ocasions. The following is a picture taken with the G1:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1187031&size=lg

I know Contax fans "fight" from time to time against Leica fans and viceversa. This is no sense for me. Both makes are the best on 35mm photography and I would like to invite any M user to also enjoy a bit the G system. A used G1 on e-bay with the 45mm Planar is usually offered at excellent prices.

Bottom line: enjoy both worlds!

Cheers, Luis Argüelles

Hi Dr Elliot and hi ludwig,

I use the G2 with 28, 45 and 90.
SLR: Aria and Rx
SLR lenses: 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/2.8, 35-70/f3.4, 80-200/f4 and 35/2.8 shift.

Leica M7, 35 Summicron-M ASPH, 90 Summicron (1987).

3 years ago I researched lenses and found the quality of both Zeiss and Leitz to be desirable, but Zeiss was cheaper and I could therefore own more lenses.

I initially purchased the Aria with the 28/f2.8 and the 50/1.4 and loved this camera for travel.

When I printed the images, I was amazed at the quality (contrast and sharpness of my photos)
In my case I travel to cities, so I added the G2 with the 28/2.8 and 45/2 for street photography.

The contrast and sharpness was even better with the G2 lenses (use a very good enlarger lens: Apo-Rodagon 50/2.8).

But during my photography I had many occasions when I needed to shoot in low light (candids) and keep the noise down as well, so I invested in the M7, and I love this camera.

My G2 with the AF is used for moving candid shots,
and the SLR for longer focal lengths which the M camera is not really suitable for.

Regards, William

I would like to add that the M camera (I have owned since mid-Jan) has met with my expectations
for low-light/noiseless photography to the highest levels.

Back