DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

I chose the Sigma because...

Honkan, regarding your studio shot: a very nice image indeed. Clean and clear. Also, this is a good pose from the model.

Welcome aboard, I am pretty new too.

Laurence

While you're waiting in your cave, Laurence, hope you've got matches. It can get cold in them thar black holes, so light a fire and keep warm. ;)

Sincere regards, Jim R

While you're waiting in your cave, Laurence, hope you've got matches. It can get cold in them thar black holes, so light a fire and keep warm. ;)

Sincere regards, Jim R

I spent nearly ALL my childhood and teenage years hiking with my grandfather in the rain forests as well as the high country of the Olympic Mountains.
icon7.gif
I still do, and actually took a 10 day solo trip this summer into the trail-less terrain and up to Holy Cross Basin. It was invigorating, quiet, and beautiful. I have a basic "love affair" with the mountain meadows.

So yeah! I have a match or two in my emergency kit!
icon12.gif

I'd show you some images, but I hesitate to put any non-Sigma images into this forum.

Got a match?
icon10.gif

I spent nearly ALL my childhood and teenage years hiking with my grandfather in the rain forests as well as the high country of the Olympic Mountains.
icon7.gif
I still do, and actually took a 10 day solo trip this summer into the trail-less terrain and up to Holy Cross Basin. It was invigorating, quiet, and beautiful. I have a basic "love affair" with the mountain meadows.

So yeah! I have a match or two in my emergency kit!
icon12.gif

I'd show you some images, but I hesitate to put any non-Sigma images into this forum.

Got a match?
icon10.gif

Oh, Laurence, now you are making me extremely envious! The Olympic mountains? Wow! A very beautiful part of this world indeed. It's still on my wish list to visit.

As for that last question, we usually reserve that one for some one with arms so full of stuff that they couldn't possibly reach for anything more? :)

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

PS. Because I have seen the calibre of some of your photography, I wish there was some way of you sharing some of those images with me.

Hi Laurence,
it is no problem at all to show non-Sigma images here,as long as they are
uploaded onto our server and not linked externaly.
Looking foreward to see something from "before the Sigma-age":)
Regards
Uwe

Oh, Laurence, now you are making me extremely envious! The Olympic mountains? Wow! A very beautiful part of this world indeed. It's still on my wish list to visit.

As for that last question, we usually reserve that one for some one with arms so full of stuff that they couldn't possibly reach for anything more? :)

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

PS. Because I have seen the calibre of some of your photography, I wish there was some way of you sharing some of those images with me.

Jim, I concur with you that it is a beautiful part of this world. I've been to many national parks and wilderness areas on travels, but I find it hard to feel that anything exceeds Olympic in pure variety and "loneliness".

While it gets about 2 million visitors per year, the statistics show that 97% of the visits were to the periphery of the park (Hurricane Ridge, Deer
Park, Ozette, Rialto, Third Beach, Hoh Valley, etc.).

All it takes to gain a feeling of remoteness, is to follow a trail until you find a place to "take off" cross country on high ridges. There is a small chance of seeing another human, but not much.

Jim, you must know me from another forum? You indicated that you've seen some images from me?

Laurence (or Larry)

Hi Laurence,
it is no problem at all to show non-Sigma images here,as long as they are
uploaded onto our server and not linked externaly.
Looking foreward to see something from "before the Sigma-age":)
Regards
Uwe

Great! Thanks for the tip, Uwe! One reason why I ordered the SD14 is because I think (hope) that I can capture a bit more of the rain forest realm, as well as other areas in my home state, and come ever closer to the "true" colors. I really don't like the drudgery of Photoshop, but have used it to try to manipulate an image so that it appears like it did in person. I look forward to the SD14! If it works for me, great! If it doesn't...well...I would still probably keep the camera for its unique characteristics unless it was a total washout.

Laurence, one of the SD14's "features" that never ceases to please me is its DR, especially detail in shadow areas.

Sincere regards, Jim R

Back