DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New M lens Summilux 5014

cmdr

Hello everyone,

There is a new 50/1.4 Summilux lens being released next month in July. Does anyone know of a web site that would have the MTF chart for this new lens?

Regards,
Dale

I got the opportunity to make some shots with this new lens. Nothing of a qualified test but enough to get an impression.
I think the new Summilux produces more or less the same quality as my 20 year old Summicron 2/50. I expected a bit more of a new aspherical lens. I decided to wait for the newly calculated Summicron that hopefully shall be out soon.
Swann
75645.jpg

Swann--mbru65 here. Where did you hear of this new Summicron and when is it due out? How do you think it will be better than the older formulation: bokeh, sharpness, colour saturation? I borrowed a Contax G2 to compare the Zeiss 45mm Planar to my older Summicron. No comparison in the colour department. The Zeiss is so much more pleasing. Should we just expect--and accept--that Leitz is just different to Zeiss in colour rendition? --mbru

Dear Charles,

Where did you have an opportunity to try the new 50/1.4 Summilux M-lens? It was my understanding that this lens would not become available until the end of July 2004. Moreover, where did you hear about a newly calculated 50/2 Summicron M-lens coming?

Regards,
Dale

@Marc & Dale
Thanks for your interest. I heard of it on leicainfo.de (sometimes it's an advantage to speak german :) ). Too Mr. Puts wrote a report on it, find it under:

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/mseries/SummiluxASPH/s14-50.html.

I cannot tell much about the difference between Zeiss and Leitz, I know Zeiss lenses only from the Hasselblad where they really perform outstanding.

I had my M tested at Photo Ganz' Leica days in Zurich, told them about my concerns on the Summicron 50 and what did they present me for some test shots? New Summilux. It is a beauty with a lens hood that can be locked, but a brick and costs a hell lot of money: SFR 3960.00 about $ 2800.00. Yes it is on sale in July. After my test shots I decided to wait for new Summicron. Rumors on German LI say that it should come out soon. I strongly hope so after I am really not happy with my old Cron.
Regards
Swann

In comparing the Zeiss 45mm G with the Summicron, you always have to take into account the "O" factor on the leica lens - overpricing! How can Zeiss make a lens, on which I assume they do not lose money, which at worst equals and mostly outperforms the current Summicron both subjectively and according to Photodo's figures, objectively, yet costs about 50% of the Summicron. This is not even taking into account the cost of the autofocus drive mechanism on the Zeiss. I would love to add an MP + New Summicron to my current rangefinder stable of IIa, IIf and Contax G2 but I am just not prepared to put that much money into Leica's already bulging coffers. I am still smarting from the experience of the last new Leica I bought, a Digilux 1. Wilson

Dear Charles,

Thank you for your response. I suppose that some Leica dealers may already have the new 50/1.4 Summilux M lens for show. My understanding is that when it becomes available here in the states next month, it'll list for about $2495.00 US, which is a tremendous amount of money considering it is only a 50mm lens.

You had mentioned that you are not totally satisfied with the optical performance of your 50/2 Summicron lens. Do you know which version of the 50/2 Summicron it is that you have? I recently purchased a 50/2 Summicron M lens with a serial number of 395xxxx, and have been quite happy with it's performance. If there is a new 50/2 Summicron on its way, then that is terrific news.

Regards,
Dale

Dear Dale
It is the 4th version of 1979. Mine was built in 1984, it has the serial number 3304077. It is tiny, good looking and has a rigid lens hood. Compared to my new Summicron 2/35 mm asph. and my Elmarit 90 mm it falls apart in sharpness, detail resolution and color rendition. It performs pretty nice in closer focus (0.7 - ca. 3 m) but not so well on infinity.
Agree about the high price of the 1,4/50 but would love to pay it for a 50 mm that really could convince me. A new Summicron asph. will hopefully do this.
Regards
Swann

<font color="0000ff">OPINIONS ABOUT 50 MM LENS
<font color="000000">I have 3 lenses 50mm, the old "Rigid Summicron", the Summicron M 50/2 and the actual Elmar-M 50/2,8.
The first gives soft and lovely contrast for B&W but to many flare, the second is an excelent lens. The Elmar I find a litle bit softer than Summicron principally wide open, but a lovely lens to carry everywhere.
Is the Summilux 50 be better than the mentioned lenses, or it give us "only" one stop more?
I've read that it gives a very special tones in B&W...?}
Regards
Luis

Back