DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax T3

Right you are Niki! So, there is a pinion gear driving a helical thread on the barrel. You have opened up (pun intended) a new perspective on my T3!

I am going to shoot some B/W slide film on the T3. I am going to use an orange and a yellow filter (not together..). Do I have to compensate for the filter factor or does the camera do this automatically? I suspect that I will have to compensate for this. If this is the case how do I do this and how much should I compensate?

Thank you very much for any help with this.

Greg Clements

Greg,

Yes, you'll have to use exposure compensation for the filters, because the T3 doesn't use TTL metering. Also, there's a custom setting (I don't recall which one) that will hold the compensation setting as long as you keep the camera powered up. Much easier than setting it before every shot.

Compensation factors are filter-specific, and there are different reds, oranges and yellows, so you'll have to look them up according to the manufacturer's specifications. Because varying subjects respond to color filters differently, as do different films, bracketing is always a good idea.

--Rick

Greg,

Look on page 47 for a list of Custom Functions. I believe CF #3, when set on "C", will hold the Exposure Compensation till the user cancels or overrides it.

I shot a roll of Ilford HP5 400 B&W with B+W yellow and orange filters. The both came with a note indicating how much compensation to dial in.

Niki

I would like mount my T3 on my Arca-Swiss B1 Ballhead with quick-release. (I know it seems to defeat the purpose of the camera, but sometimes it is necessary to use a tripod). Is there any kind of Quick Release plate that I can get to do this?

Mike

Reallyrightstuff specializes in Arca-Swiss mounting plates, manufacturing dozens of different ones. They may have something that will fit the T3.

--Rick

I know it is like beatin a dead horse but before I invest in this thing, I want to know. I've got a Leica M6 but tire of having to take it everywhere. When I go out with my friends or just happen to be walking around the city, I want something more portable. Read a lot of good (and bad) things about the T3. To be honest, I don't care too much if the `viewfinder' leads me astray on where the camera is focusing, but are there many of you who have bought this camera, taken it out, used AF and had all your pics come bak like duds? I have to agree with a previous poster, if I am gonna shell out the money, I don't want to have to send the thing back three times, or always be recomposing because the camera can't hack it. Sorry just a little confused on the issue. To be fair, when someone gets a good model, they are less likely to seek out people to share their experiences. Before I bought my Leica, I read horror stories about misaligned viewfinders. Haven't had a problem with mine. Thanks in advance.

Bradford,

I can certainly understand you concern about wanting to ensure you spend your money wisely. I bought a T3, while not as much an enthusiast as many on this list I do want nice clear photos. I may not take as much time to set up a shot and therefor would expect to get some that are not as up to par as others, maybe not as well focused (I have a habit of shooting fast). Well that is not the case, I have had great luck with the T3 and highly recommend it to any that can afford it.

Good luck in your decision.

Joel Stern

I've had a Contax T3 for almost a year. I carry it with me all the time, and use it for candids. I use the auto focus and aperture priority at f/8 99% of the time. I get maybe one bad frame in 5 rolls of film (focus/exp. problem). I've used a variety of equipment, haven't seen a better success rate with anything else. I don't use the flash much, except for fill though - you have to be careful with the flash, it doesn't have much range. Also it has a problem with infinity focus, can't focus on things like sea, sunset etc.

Shekhar >

Back