DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Epson introduces digital M

I've only just come across this horrific contraption.Still,I guess there are people out there with poor enough taste to want one

Barry wrote: I guess there are people out there with poor enough taste to want one

Count me in my friend!
happy.gif

67613.jpg

I believe it's due in western shops about September. You may already be able to get one in Japan. The production is probably going to be limited to about 10,000-20,000 units so that they can charge the earth for it. The Japanese price is around $3,000 for the body. Unfortunately it only uses an APS sized sensor so you have to multiply the effective range of your M lenses by 1.53. I think the idea of having to recock the shutter by means of a lever wind is about the most stupid thing I have ever seen. What next - a starting handle on a Ferrari? Wilson

Maybe it saves on battery life. Im not going to buy one just yet anyway. My Digilux 2 is working out great. Well, sort of; Im in Baghdad and it keeps overheating. But thats reallly about the only problem I have with it.

Peace.

I dunno. It's not out yet, I believe, in the US and there hasn't been an international review. The released stats say it'll have an APS-size chip, 100-1600 ASA and a 1:1.5 magnifacation. It'll also have several b/w modes (green, yellow and possibly red). I also hear the price is heavy, around US$3,000.

Anyone else heard different?

Peace.

If you search the Internet (via google, for ex&le) you will find a lot of reviews and some posting on boards about the merits and demerits of the camera. Easiest of all is a quick trip to dpreview.com where they have something of an overview. You can also find a link to some pictures on a Japanese site: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2004/0621/dcr016.htm

There was another great hobbiest site that had ex&les shot with lenses from 12mm up! I cannot find the page at the moment, but I found it very useful in assessing the the merits of the body against the actual lenses I would be using. Maybe somebody else has bookmarked the page, or another, with R-D1 photos?

The camera sure seems expensive to me, but I have not tried it yet. the photos look good - not great, but again I have no personal experience with the camera...

Cheers! - marc

Back