DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Hasselblad/Zeiss 30mm C T* fisheye damage, parts?

Jon Paul

Hello all:

I had a catastrophe, with my Hasselblad Zeiss 30mm F3.5 Distagon T* C
Fisheye lens circa 1975.

It was dropped from 2' height onto a metal camera case corner. The lens shade
and front element hit a glancing blow on the corner of the case.

One shade "petal" bent, severely but not broken and the front element
has a thick mark on the coating, a few inches long, but the glass
surface seems to be undamaged.

My French friends would say Quelle Domage!

View attachment 7201View attachment 7202

Incredibly the shade damage does not intrude into the image, and the
lens still seems to work OK!

I attempted to clean it with Digiclean A and B solutions, lens tissue,
and lens cleaning solution. Finally I used the Lens Pen.

All that cleaning gave some improvement, but the coating mark does not fully
clean off, perhaps the coating is damaged?

Questions: Both Hasselblad and Zeiss say its too old (early 1970s), they have no parts or service, same reply for all the Hassy camera repair men.
Shade: It is aluminum, might split! Recommended tools and procedure to unbend the petal shad?

Where to get parts for these old lenses?

Even if there parts, were the shade is integral to the lens outer housing.

Coating: Any other ways to try to clean the coating mark?
Anyone who can strip and recoat the front element?

MANY THANKS for your read and any assistance.

With Kind Regards,
Jon PAUL
the Crypto-Museum

Attachments

• 30mmB.jpg
    EXIF
    30mmB.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 44
Well, I have two C-30mm distagon. One is allmost perfect with case, other one is "used". Not eazy to use this lens: heavy and need care of the frontal lens.
It happen that the front element of this lens is for sale on B. perhaps one has damaged the rest of the lens.
For the lens shade, what you need is one houre free of stress to repair it softly in the kitchen (!)
For the front lens, happy that it's not visible on pictures and not affect flare by srong contract lignting.
The coating of the front lens is not so important as the coating of internal lenses.
Perhaps try to sell it as repair, one will be interested to get one to test with phocus http://blowupster.blogspot.ch/2012/02/distagon-30mm-hasselblad-v-en-numerique.html , and it's interesting to use a realy used lens for "Street photography"
BTW I think to sell one of my 2 C-30mm (the beautifull one) for 1300 euro. I'm in Switzerland.

The metal of the shade is quite soft and it would be very easy to straighten if you detach the shade from the front lens group. Some are held with screws and some with a threaded ring, I can't recall which type yours is I have not repaired one of these for some time. Little cab done for the coating mark but if it does not affect the images continue to use the lens and put it down to experience.

Douglas: The shade os integral; to the entire lens outer housing. Nothing will detach without complete dis-assembly. Perhaps you want to try to work on it? Any estimated cost?

Cheers,

Jon

This is not a quote but for guidance I would anticipate about one hour which equates to 80GBP. The biggest problem is you are in the USA (I think) and I am in the UK.
This is how I would approach the job. Protect the glass, shape a support out of material like wood with the curve of the ring. Using a punch made out of nylon rod together with the support gently ease out the bent flanges so the ring can come off the lens mount. It will come off somehow, then clean up the profile until you are happy with it and refit.

>>Incredibly the shade damage does not intrude into the image, and the
lens still seems to work OK!>>

I had a similar problem with the shade of my 30mm. Along with that problem, the bayonet mechanism that realigned the two parts of the lens on assembly/ disassembly (to enable one to change filters) was broken. Anyhow, I took it to to Wilco Jansen in Holland, a highly reputed Hasselblad repairman, and he did not try to fix the shade as it was not strictly necessary (except for cosmetic reasons). He did a fantastic job of fixing the bayonet mechanism though. He has many spare parts in stock and very good connections with Hasselblad Sweden. Worth sending him an email in my opinion. Google his name.

Carlo

Give me a PM and I may can give you an good repair Source, for such Crash damages! Zeiss itself, is not able to repair their "old" stuff anymore, an is sending or recommending it, to this excellent repair firm! I Know, what I am Talking about, since I have contract with this firm for over 25 years.

Back