DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Using a 645

Yes, the MAM-1 adapter allows use of Hasselblad C, CF, CFi, CFE, F and FE type lenses on a C645. In other words, all of them ; -)

Marc, for the Japanese made glass I suppose you mean the lenses for the C645 ?

I am totally new to medium format. Two days ago, it was only split seconds decision for me to spend several k for past 35mm Contax gear, at the same time I spent hours thinking about which gear I should get for my medium format.

I prefers mechanics to electronics, I am thinking about Hassey 5 series. My first series of lenses will be like 60,80, 120, 150. The 2 series is more expensive. C645 is a bit too fast for me. I am not a Pro, but ama happy with manual focus.

Chi, I have two kits that have remained my absolute favorites throughout all the upheaval caused by digital. They are the Hasselblad 503CW and Leica M series.

As far as lenses for the 503CW, I can recommend a few that are awesome performers and provide a range for practical shooting: 50/4 FLE (Floating Lens Element), 80/2.8 CFE (usually provided with a kit but not one I'd buy on it's own if building a system piecemeal selecting instead the 60 CFi), the 100/3.5 CFi, 120/4 CFi Makro, 180/4 CFE. The 50, 100 and 180 are legendary performers and worth structuring a system around.

Whenever possible purchase CFE versions of certain lenses because they have the data bus contacts for the 200 series cameras and offer versatility as well as higher resale potential.
Note that all Hasselblad CF lenses can be used on 200 series focal plane cameras.

The near future of MF cameras was assured recently with Phase One's announcement of the 39 meg., near full frame 645 sensor digital back. This effectively moves MF beyond anything 35mm sized sensors will ever be able to produce no matter what meg count they cram into that smaller space. What everyone is waiting for with suspense, is Imacon's next development. It is conceivable that someone will announce a near 6X6 chip, and if they do it is most likely going to be Imacon given their affiliation with Hasselblad. Should that happen, it will set the industry on it's ear, and those who dumped their Hasselblad gear at a loss will be kicking themselves.

Marc can the Hasselblad leaf shutters be used in leaf shutter mode with the mam-1 adapter on the Contax 645? Will it flash sync?

Thanks
Rob Hanson

I experienced a trouble on focusing with my Contax 645 and 80 mm Planar.
AF was continuosly moving inhibiting to fire ...

Anyone with similar problems ?

Thank in advance,
Ulisse

\/--\/--\/-- The focus on the 645 AF isn't the quickest, probably due to the heavy lenses. You'll need to hold it 'on target' long enough for it to search and come to a stop for a second before pressing the shutter realese fully. Boilerdoc

My C645 AF is not as fast as the Canon's for sure, but it is far more accurate and lock in the target better than the N system. The AF on the N1 and ND is faster but they tends to hunt more than the C645.

I have no issue with the C645AF except with the 45-90 zoom in a dim room with moving subject, such as "first dance" in wedding.

It would be extremely kind if someone like Marc could answer the question for me.

In 35 mm photography, I enjoy very much shooting of portraits at the distance 1 meter. No matter it is 60mm, 75mm, 85mm or 90mm lenses, if I keep myself at 1 meter I will get excellent results.

I realize that most normal or short teles of medium format have minimal distance at 1.2m or 1.3m. Does it mean that I would lost the interesting perspective at 1 m if I go medium format ?

Back