DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax RX

Here´s the answer I received one year ago from Contax Germany to shutter release times. It follows that ARIA is 22% faster than RX.

Dieter

Dear Sir,

the shutter release delay time for the requested models are as follows:

RX 68,8ms
Aria 54,0ms
ST 72,0ms
S2 78,8ms
RTS III 21,8ms

and older models:

167 72,0ms
159 80,0ms
137 53,8ms
139 50,0ms
RTS 39,4ms

Best regards
P. Schwedhelm
(Manager, Serv. Dept.)

I just recieved the RX that I purchased in the mail and I have a couple of questions about it. First of all I am wondering if you can only recieve metering information in the priority modes? I was half expecting to see a meter scale like in the Aria but that doesn't seem to be the case. If you are shooting in the fully manual mode, and you are controlling aperature and shutter speed, is there no way to recieve metering information? Also, included in the packaging was a small clear plastic bag with two flat small black objects both shaped roughly like a profile of a balloon- round on the top and flat on the bottem. What are these items for?

My next question is also about the viewfinder. I find when the viewfinder shutter is open, the top right and left corners of the viewfinder are cut off slightly by the bottem of the shutter blades. Is this normal? It doesn't seem like they interfer too much but you can see that the viewfinder is slightly cropped in the corners because of it.

My last question is about the inside of the lens mount. When I look inside the lens mount, it seems as though there might be a piece missing but I am not sure. If you look to the right of the mirror, you can see that there is a little piece of metal or moulded plastic that covers up the gap that is created where the square housing meets the round lens mount. On the right however, there is no metal or moulded plastic cover and you can see "inside" the camera through the gap. If you shine light into the gap, you can see some of the internals of the camera- circuit board, etc. Is this normal? I cannot see why it would be a problem but it does seems strange that one side would be covered and the other would be left open.

Thanks a lot,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I can answer one question for you.

The flat black objects are turners for levering the metal retainers of your camera strap onto the new RX without scratching the camera body.

Insert the narrowed side into the metal hinge, and prise it ajar, and then fit the prised hinge onto the camera body eyelet. Make sure you get the camera strap the right way round too, otherwise it's a hassle trying to repeat the procedure.

Be careful in using them: a prudent dealer will explain to you, but if you buy items by mail order, the valuable advice isn't included. Also, it's harder to ask for a free film, double sets of free batteries and Hoya SMC filter from a mail-order company without feeling a bit silly.

Enjoy your camera - I don't use it, because I've settled for an Aria which thrills me
happy.gif

Joe99

Hi Chris,
Second Question: are you sure it is the viewfinder shutter? It may look like it but it may be actually the shaping within the viewfinder itself at the top right and left.
The last question: It is the same on my RX s/n 006350. Why? I don't know. It doesn't affect the pictures at all.
The firdt Question: I am not quite sure what you mean, I have all the info at the bottom of the finder in all the modes.

Paul

service-quality and camera-quality is an issue and not the fact that some dealers do not offer free film, batteries and filter. you see how unsure our friens is. never buy a camera by mail! check by shooting some pictures and after seeing the results, buy, with guarantee!

I own a Contax RX, but I can't get used to the design. It doesn't fit well in my hands and it is somewhat heavier then what I'm used to. This combination irritates me during photographing. Would a vertical grip solve my problem? Is changing it with an Aria be a good option? Are there more people with this problem?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

when i had rts and winder i have built a bad-looking hand-support for vertical and horizontal shooting. porsche-design did not mean perfect ergononmy....

> This is a question for those of you who have used both the RX and the Aria. When looking through the viewfinder, does the layout of information provided inside look the same? I don't have an opportunity to see an RX in person to check this out myself, but I know I liked the layout inside the Aria viewfinder very much. (As a contrast though, I never liked the layout inside the 167 viewfinder). Thanks for any input. -Lynn

Back