DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

55 vs 45 mm lens

U

utkinpol

Hi,
I`m trying to decide what wide angle Zeiss glass to choose for my Contax 645, actually, I want to understand what is the price/quality ratio value for the 55 and 45mm distagons .

I tried to find MTF charts for 55mm Distagon but it appears that kyocera site doesn`t give `em for some reason not to mention that it shows 30mm lens data for 55mm lens (what a crying shame! It is almost most expensive glass money can buy and they don`t even bother to have a working web site...
sad.gif
).

Did anybody have a chance to compare 45 vs 55mm lenses? How do they perform wide open and at aperture 8?

55mm one is almost 2 times cheaper than 45mm one - right now I see 55mm distagon on ebay for sale for about of $700. Does this speak for itself?
Is 55mm lens 2 times worse than 45mm by its
distortion, resolution?

Does this info exist anywhere in the net?

Hi Paul,

I have used but don't own the 55mm but I do have the 45mm...and the 35mm. I don't really care about MTF charts, I care about how the image looks and feels. The 45mm is fantastic and it is my most used lens in my bag. I do mostly landscape work with it and I think a 45mm does a much better job as a wide angle than the 55mm. You won't be dissappointed with it if your looking to use it for scenics.

Guy

Paul,

I, like Guy, haven't studied the MTF charts. I have both the 45 and 55 lenses. I have not noticed one lenses performance being better than the other. Both (for that matter ALL the lenses in the system) are without peer.

Brian J Nelson

Paul,

why searching around at Kyocera websites? Just click on this site in the navigation bar on "Manuals"
happy.gif

There you will find a section for The N-mount and 645 lenses with all MTF data available.

I have one more question to ask - have anybody tried to use an AC adaptor with Contax 645 in a studio? I have a couple of 6v 200mA units (just like for CD players and stuff like that) but I`m not sure if this camera can accept a current from impulse AC-DC unit.
Has anybody tried it?

Paul you can use a mains unit at 6 Volt but you need 2.5 or 3 Amp not 200Ma. You may get away with 2 Amp but if it is getting heavy use you will burn out the power supply.
The camera will work on 5 Volts so look at a power supply from a computer 5 Volts output.
I have also used 6 Volt 10 Amp lead acid battery smaller versions are available like 4 and 6 Amp.
All model shops sell these at reasonable prices
Bob

Thanks Bob.

It`s a good idea about taking it from computer - I`ll give it a try.

A little extra info, about the batteries.
I use a 6v 6.5 hr gel cell also known as a sealed lead acid battery.
The can be had at Home Depot for around $12 IIRC.
They're sold as replacement batteries for emergency lights and work like a charm.

Paul,

I found the little instruction book that came with the 55 lens-(I didn't find one for the 45 though) If you wish, I can e-mail you an image of the MTF curves that are published in the book.

Brianjnelson.com

Back