DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

Kevin, even though you're a long way from NY, I'd spring for the used G2 over the G1. I have had many years experience with AF cameras (Konica Hexar Silver, AF SLRs, others) and began my Contax trip with the G1. It seemed just too "iffy" to suit me.

Fortunately, the dealer I bought from (it was used and came from KEH in Atlanta) allowed me full exchange on a used G2 body after three weeks. As you can see from my post earlier, I have never looked back! I know the cameras are VERY similar but the G2 just seems to have it all put together right whereas the G1 seemed to be missing something.

Whichever one you get, I'm sure you'll love it!

DC

fwiw, after using my G2 for a while I've found the viewfinder to me a tad too small/dim, and the lenses to be too slow for my needs. I put it on eBay (Item # 1357711754) for a very reasonalbe price and I'll go back to using Leicas.

Nevertheless, if the features are within one's scope/need, I still think the G2 is a very nice system.

cheers,

pat

I own a G1 and I have lot of trouble with the autofocus, It is not capable to keep focus in many situations. Do you think this will change if I change to a G2?

> Yes, the G2 will focus better and faster than the G1. I have had no problem focusing any subject. Focus has always been right were I wanted it. This camera is very exact in focusing. Wh= at it is not, is a point and shoot camera. You must pick a focus point and lock it by holding the focus lock button o= r by hold the shutter release half way and recompose your shot. Hope this helps.

I had my G2 incl. the 90, 45, 35 and 21 on an Asia trip last year with me. I was fascinated with the size and weight.

You have definitely to learn the AF of the G2. As it was mentioned earlier, even it is small and looking like a P&S, it is not!

After the learning curve, there will be no trouble anymore with the AF. It is the same effort you have to make as if you would buy a Leica M. These instruments are just different to handle then SLR, P&S etc.

The viewfinder is definitely not as bright or as big as a RTS III, but I did not find it really dim. And it is also half the size of an RTS III. Rangefinder is just a different system...

What I loved was the handling of the 21mm. If I compare this with my hassle with Leica M 6 it is just a joy to use it. Because of the AF of the G-system you can look, frame and focus with the additional viefinder only. No back and forth anymore between two different viewfinders!

Very convenient. What I was missing is the focus split of a normal SLR. I just love to see how an image gets in the viewfinder sharp. But you can not have it all...

The Leica M is for me no alternative anymore, because of the bad focusing possibilities in sunlight situations and the pre-war technique of several frames in the viewfinder with an either to big or to small image-size. The M7 did not change anything in this pre-historical behaviour.

sorry just my personal opinion and therefore very subjective
happy.gif

dirk

Ya know, I really want to hate the G2. I've been shooting an M6 for years, and I gave my dad greif ove rhis G's when he got them....but, after taking the G2 on my honeymoon, I'm impressed. It's still not a replacement for an M6 - the lack of true manual focus, and the total lack of optical fucus confirmation, is a big problem. So is the small viewfinder. But AF and AE is a darn nice feature, when it's day three of a lot of walking and you're just tired
happy.gif

I really hope they make a G3 - with the following:
1. Real manual focus - keep the wheel, I like teh nod to the original Contax RF(I use a Kiev 4, so...)
2. An ae lock button , rather than the lever
3. Spotmetering!!!!! Or at least, a meter-guide in the VF

And of course, faster lenses.

But I was favorably impressed, all the same, I wasn;t expecting the G to do so well at night, and it did wonders - to the point of likely becoming a favored choice when shooting club scenes and wedding reception grab shots.

Sigh.

I really did try to hate it.

happy.gif

Tamarkin in NY told me that a G3 will be introduced at photokina this fall and it will be digital. they also said that the black model has been cancelled and new equipment will keep the silver/titanium finish only. time will tell if this is credible information or not...

cheers,

pat
ps my G2 is gone. have fun!

By the way, for those in the know the Contax G2 is better than the Leica M-series in terms of focusing distance. I can focus my G Planar 45mm lens down to 1.5 feet (or slightly less) but my M-Rokkor 40mm only goes down to 2.7 feet. For those close ups (parallax error is done well in the G2), the G2 wins over the M series for me.

However, one has to be careful where to focus the G2 on without "true" manual focusing. But it's generally not a problem for me on my G2 ;)

Alfie

> The G2 wins with me also. Plus by the time you fumble around "in the heat of the decisive moment" focusing an M6 or just rewinding and reloading the thing your "decisive moments" a gone. Once one gets over the question of "did it focus?" the G2 becomes a very powerfull little tool.

Back