WTB Black Finish Contax G 35mm f2

Trader history for wilsonlaidlaw (0)

wilsonlaidlaw

As I can't find a black vario sonnar G and also some you who have had this lens, have very kindly contacted me, to suggest that this may not be one of the better Contax lenses and certainly not up to the standard of the 35-70 VS C/Y (although not sure why it would not be), I am now looking for a black G 35mm f2 as an alternative. If I find one, I will be selling my black G 45mm f2 which is in excellent condition. Would prefer European sourced for tax reasons. Wilson

jsmisc

Hello Wilson,
I am not sure that the 35mmm is available in black. I may be wrong but I had to buy a silver one in 1998 as there was no black version available at that time anyway.
I saw a black 35-70 advertised in AP this week but cannot now find it again. If I do I will email you again. I think it was for sale at £579 as opposed to the silver version which was £100 more which I found surprising. I have read of people in this forum I think who think that the 35-70 is excellent despite the slow maximum apertures.
John

J

jgban

I am one of the people who have said the 35-70 is excellent. No one ever has been able to find a differene on my slides between the 45 and the 35-70. It is slow an heavy, though, and those may be very good reasons to not want one. The quality is the reason to want one.

Juan

wilsonlaidlaw

John,

I think you are correct that the 35mm f2 in black was never sold as a separate item but I do understand that it was sold both as a multi lens and body kit and just with a G2 body as a "millenium" kit. I was hoping that there might be people out there who did not like the 35 (fat chance!) or someone who decided there was more money to be made by selling separately. I looked at a silver 35 on my G2 body today at MXV and was not wholly enamoured of the composite appearance. There were mutterings of "Panda" in the background. Wilson

jsmisc

Hello Wilson,
I agree that a black 35mm would be a very nice lens. I have got used to the "Panda effect" on my outfit and actually think it looks OK. It is my favourite G lens I think. If I see a black one advertised anywhere, I will let you know.

Hello Juan,
That's interesting. I had always thought that the f5.6 aperture on the zoom would be a problem for me because I like fastish wideopen lenses. The idea of a zoom on the G does appeal though and I had hoped that Kyecera might bring out a longer range one.

Cheers,
John