DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon - After the Rain

I've spent a lot of time photographing the Grand Canyon, but this may be one of my favorite moments that I have captured. It had rained most of the night, and at sunrise, visibility into the canyon was obscured by clouds and fog. The photograph that I had planned for never materialized, but as I made my way back to the lodge, the fog lifted, and the clouds began to break up. As I rounded a bend on the Cape Royal Road, I could see that conditions in the canyon were improving, and I needed to shoot now. Within a couple of minutes, the light was gone.

I photographed this scene with a Fujifilm GFX 100S and GF 32-64mm lens at 32mm and a 2-stop soft GND filter. The exposure values were 1/10 second, f/13, and ISO 100.

Grand-Canyon-North-Rim-Vista-Encantada-8592.png

That's beautiful! I have never seen a photo of the Grand Canyon with rising fog AND green trees. Wow!

That's beautiful! I have never seen a photo of the Grand Canyon with rising fog AND green trees. Wow!
Thank you, Mark. I can only think of a few places where you can get the trees like this on the rim, and all but one of those are on the North Rim of the canyon. That element alone does make it kind of rare.

I'm glad you like the photo!

Back