DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

Hi, Frank!

I use the Metz 54MZ3 with my G2 also primarily for "fill-in" purposes. = I get very good results, indoors and out. I also use the Contax TLA 200 = (very handy when "traveling light") and it is amazing to see that the = results of this little flash - used as "fill-in" - are (allmost) as good = as those of the rather expensive Metz...

Frank Lindeman

I'm a new user to the G2. I've always wanted one and then I came across a 10 at a small camera store in NYC. What really caught my eye is that it is black. It came with the TLA 200 and the 35 - 70 mm zoom lens. I purchased it used for $1200 less than what B&H wanted for it.

Can anyone tell me the history behind the black G2?

Over here in Holland the black version of the G2 is still new for = sale: it is even cheaper than the "normal" version...

Over here here it is sold as a set with the 35-70!

Good luck with your purchase: yuo will tearn to love the camera!

Hi everyone,
I am a G2 enthousiast and I own two bodies but I now experience troubles with the most recent one.

It is "only" 2 years old and up to now no problems but on the last 10 rolls I have shot the auto exposure seems to have gone crazy. At least 10 pics per roll (B&W) are totally overexposed.

I know the limits of AE but I had no problems in similar situations before. And it has happened in very "easy" situations, with low contrast and balanced lighting.

On the same body a couple of times when I was on CL setting, the camera and the lcd were switched automatically to multi-exposure (even if the switch was still physically on CL !). I just shot the multi esposure and then back to normal.

Anyone have experienced the same problems before ?

I know that it should be sent to Contax for checking but I am in Vietnam for the next 2 months, with no Contax support available.
I would be very happy to find a temporary solution...

Sounds like it could be a shutter problem.

Regarding cleaning the shutter gate - do it very carefully. I recently attempted to blow a hair out of the shutter gate with canned air. I was holding the shutter open with my thumb on the shutter release button which was set to "Bulb". My finger slipped off the button while I was blowing out the gate. Of course, the shutter closed and the blast of air blew the blades "inside out". A shutter job at Contax, New Jersey ran over $200 with international shipping. One would think I'd know better.
Art

re: black G2s:

The black G2 was originally a premium-priced limited edition kit, bundled with black 28, 45 & 90 lenses, TLA200 flash, and hoods & caps in a fitted Contax case. They released a second round w/o case (which is when I got mine).

I don't *think* Contax packages a black G2 body separately, but it's clear that the black equipment is a lot less "special" than originally intended.

The only G lens I've never seen in black is the 35.

--Rick

The 35 mm was sold in Japan only.
Some Items exported to USA but not to Europe.
One Item was once sold by a German Dealer
but i dont know the Source.
The black 21 mm was on the Swiss Kyocera list.
It cames from Kyocera at Hamburg.
The Import department has nothing known about
it. Only the Export department. Thanks to some
internet infos/contacts i could order it.
G.

Thanks Art, it may indeed be a shutter problem.

After hearing your experience I will wait to be back home to have this body checked !

In the meantime I will use my new T3 as second body. Lens is not as goood as G ones but still impressive for such a tiny camera.

Marc

I have just bought a secondhand G2 and I am concerned that it seems to switch to manual exposure while in AUTO - normally indicating "2000" with the underexposure arrow. Is this a problem that should make me reject this (otherwise lovely) camera?

Chris

I just bought a G2/45mm/90mm/tla200 and waiting for the test roll. I did some tests but I just can't wait to find out. How accurate is the framing of G2? Anyone?

Thank you.

Back