DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

Knowing Contax, it probably costs more than a few dollars. They have some high prices on parts.

Hello all. I have discovered an annoying blob of dust/hair in the viewfinder of my G2. The viewfinder is of course sealed and so I cannot clean or blow it out. It irritates me every time I look through the finder. I did speak to Kyocera and they said that it could have been inside right from manufacture and now have become dislodged into the field of view. Short of having a new viewfinder or having it professionaly repaired which could introduce more dust, there is nothing which can be done.
I'm hoping that it will go away again as suddenly as it appeared.
Has anyone else experienced this?
John

Hi John,
I had exactly the same experience after slightly knocking my G2 a couple of weeks ago. I inverted the camera and tapped it as hard as I dare to no avail - the blob stayed put.

Then next time I came to use the camera it had gone - the blob, not the camera.

Best of luck,

Clive

John,

I did experience the same on my G2. As it was still under warranty I had it serviced by Kyocera. The fact is that it came back from Kyocera with more dust than in the beginning, so my dealer had to send it back for a second intervention. After this second attempt, the result was much better, but still not perfect : one can still notice small pieces of dust in the corner of the viewfinder (though it is not really annoying anymore). All in all, it took a bit more than 2 month to just do this, which is far too long in my opinion.

The question is : why do this happen to expert cameras like the G2, and do not happen to much less expensive P&S cameras (I have had a Canon Prima with a zoom viewfinder for 10 years, brought it in many adverse areas and this did not happen...)

Regards, Olivier.

I heve just bought a used Contax G2, but without the Owners Manual. Does any one have a scan ??

Jesper DK

> Try manuals2go.com. You can get a manual on CD for a few bucks and print just the English version. Regards, Art

I have this too. It comes and goes. Unfortunately for now it has come back and is staying! Very irritating.

Thanks Clive, Olivier, Steve. It shouldn't really happen but there you go. Hope it goes away and have to live with it meanwhile. I tried tapping mine as hard as I dared too but so far to no avail.
More than two months in the end to add more dust seems terrible. Would they not just change the viewfinder if it's under warranty although I suppose that would mean being without it for even longer.
John

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the plastic in the eyepiece in a G2 ?
Is it the same way as if it had been a new diopter lens ?
(Mine have got a lot of schratches)
I din't have a users manual.

Back