DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

I wonder if this Contax 645 start up/timelag issue is a myth? There's a two or three second start up delay when there's no film in the camera (I think the camera is searching for film and trying to wind it on to the first frame), but loaded with film it's instant start up, with or without an auxillary battery pack.

Has anyone actually got a 645 that has a start up delay when loaded with film?

Regards, Gary

Alan, I echo your sentiments in wanting a Contax 645 version two, but I'm hoping it's the Hasselblad H1 that will finally provide the impetus for Contax to divert some resource from their digital problems and give us at least a flash synch solution. Although IMO the 645 needs a complete makeover right down to the strap attachment mechanism, and engraving the designated lenses on the lens hoods!

Regards, Gary

No one could accuse me of not being a blunt critic of Contax's shortcomings ( just look at my postings about my N Digital issues). But this lag time thing
on the 645 has me baffeled. I shoot weddings all the time with it, and honestly don't know what you folks are talking about. It may lag as it aquires focus in low light, but I tend to keep my thumb on the MF button and take over if the scene contrast is to low. I also have a flip magnifier permanately attached to my finder. When the focusing is critical, such as with the super wide lens, I flip it in place and fine focus.

Go to my gallery postings on this forum (search fotografz) and see the candid, decisive moment wedding stuff this camera has helped me capture. If the camera lagged as you suggest, these images wouldn't exist. (BTW the other camera I use for "grab shots in concert with the 645, is a Leica M...so I'm use to getting instant reaction from my equipment.

This is a newbie question (off track from our review discussion).

At the end of each 120/220 film roll, the film back proceeds to wind. Is it normal for the back to make several clicking noises as film winding completes?

Sang, if not then I've got a problem too! Yes, I'm sure it's normal.

<<<At the end of each 120/220 film roll, the film back proceeds to wind. Is it normal for the back to make several clicking noises as film winding completes?>>>>

If you watch the frame counter, the noise coincides with it re-setting. The noise is normal.

Is it possible to use/set fill in flash with the c645, while the settings for aperture/time are based on the real light situation? What are the possibilities/limitations for fill in flash in outdoor situations (i like flash in dailight outdoor sceneries with people). Thank you for information, Albert, Holland.

Does anyone have any experience with a third-party warranty supplier for the 645? I'm considering purchasing a grey market kit and would like to back it up with a warranty.

Thanks,
Chip

>don"t do it this week is contax week you can buy a us model for gray price 12-15

Chip,

I considered purchasing a warranty to accompany my grey market C645 purchase as well. However, the person I purchased from offered the C645 with an international warranty which is honored by the Contax service centers here in the US. I did some follow up with Contax and here's what they said:
====================
International Warranties

Products that are purchased outside North America with an international
warranty will be serviced under the terms of the warranty. For warranty
service, please provide an original sales receipt and warranty card (the
warranty card must be st&ed with the selling dealer's name and
address).

Products that are purchased within North America with an international
warranty, will be estimated as an out of warranty product.
Any problems pertaining to your warranty service should be directed to
the Service Manager for a full evaluation and fair resolution of the
problem. If this procedure fails to provide adequate satisfaction,
please contact:

National Service Manager
2301-200 Cottontail Ln.
Somerset, NJ 08873
(732) 560-0060
====================

If you are still interested in warrantees, I hear the MACK warrantees are reputable.

Sang

Back