DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Does anyone have experience with regards to how rain proof the 645 and it's lenses are?

Ted

> has anyone herd if there is a new contax 645 comming out? i wondered if i should waitbefor getting one.

Ken, last month on the Contax Day, I asked the same question if there is a newer version of C645 coming out to the Contax on-site sales rep whom has worked for Kyocera for 15 years. The answer was no. I do not know how truefull he was since I was buying the C645 on that day.

Anyway, it is a great camera and you should check out the Contax National Sales events from Dec 12-14. You can get the US model with grey market price.

I have a 645 insert with no tension on the fresh film sproket. Can anyone recommend a repair shop, place to order parts, etc. in the USA. I have been trying to work with a camera repair shop in Asheville, NC (via phone) for several months. (I am in east Tennessee.) The Asheville shop still has not even ordered the parts. I believe I could make the repair myself if I just had the sproket parts set. Has anyone done this? Know where I can get a repair manual? Any advise would be nice.

If it comes to mentioning shop names, I suppose you should email me directly, otherwise, others might benefit from your comments here.

Thanks,

Fred Stephens
Fred@DancingCreek.com

would like your opinion. if you had a choice between (a) the 45-90 zoom and (b) the 35mm and 80mm (the dealer is giving me a quotation with similar pricing for (a) and the (b) combo), which would you select? i mainly take landscapes and occasional portraits. have the n system and am accustomed to zooming from 24mm to 200mm. i suppose one question is how dramatic is 21mm (35mm in MF format) vs. 24mm in 35mm terms?

i suppose, if i chose (b) first, i would eventually get the zoom later, but not necessarily vice versa?

The 35/3.5 is an awesome lens. The 80 at f/2 is fast as hell and provides wonderful selective DOF for head and shoulder portraits. IMO, no zoom can equal a prime in terms of quality of image.

I can understand that we get spoiled by using zoom lenses all this years, especially the N1/24-85 combo. But shooting prime lens in MF and LF is a luxury. It slows you down but it is a good think. It makes you think more and take the time to pre-visualize (if speed is a non issue). Given the two choices you listed, I think 35mm and 80mm is a better option. You get better quality and that's what you want when you shoot MF. The zoom is well balance with the C645 but is less handhold-able relatively speaking. Besides when you do portraiture, you probably prefer using the 80mm or 140mm since they are much faster and again more handhold-able. It is really a personal preference. I must add that the 80mm is a awesome lens, and I also have used the 120mm for portraits with superb results.

dear marc and albert:

points taken. although i enjoy the 24-85 in the n system, it is a slow lens, comparatively speaking. would be nice to get my hands on the an f/2 lens from time to time. further, the 35mm gives me a POV that the 24-85 does not allow. you're right, i invariably use tripod for most of my shots.

Hi all,

I was speaking to a contax rep this weekend past and he told me that there is a planned 5-7% price increase in store for the 645. It is planned to take place early next year. I believe him due to the fact that the Hasselblad H1 is so much more expensive, yet doesn't offer more in quality than the Contax 645. Don't know if this is true, but if it is, I would also guess that this means there is not a near term 645 II in store.

Back