DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

Can anyone point me to some quality G1 or G2 galleries - any subject matter or medium. Thanks! Shaun

For nearly 18 months I am the proud owner of a Contax G2 with 21/28/45/90 mm lenses. I will describe my experiences about the camera for the convenience of to-be-users.

The Contax G2 is a beautiful camera. It looks like a gem with its shiny titanium plating. It is very solidly build and beautifully crafted. All the knobs and dials run smoothly and have exactly the right "click". When taking the camera in your hands the first thought that arises is QUALITY! And so it ought to be when looking at the price you pay for the body.

Working with the camera is very easy as all the controls are on the right places. What I find very convenient is the location (and existence!) of the Automatic Exposure Lock switch. The shutter release button needs a little get used to when you used to using a mechanical SLR release button (I also own an Olympus OM-2sp for 17 years now). When used to it the shutter release works very nice and light.

What also needs a little get used to (and is even then not very handy) is the unlock button for the lens bayonet. This is a button that has to be pressed. Problem is that this button is flat with the body plating which causes you to press it into the body with the top of your fingers. I would have preferred a button that can be pressed by the flat part of your fingers. Besides that changing the lenses also needs a little get used to as the bayonet is different from most SLR bayonet systems: only a small ring must be turned to lock and unlock the lens not the whole lens as it is.

The viewfinder is not particularly bright but is brighter (although smaller) then my OM-2sp finder. It is a good finder with automatic parallax correction and a good informative display which shows shutter speed, distance, correction set and manual operation arrow controls. I would have hoped for the diaphragm to be in the display but this is missing as is the bracketing setting.

The auto focus system generally works fast and precise. Only in the winter and early spring the system has difficulty focusing when there is strong headlight on the camera. This inconvenience can not be overcome by following the guidelines on this and other sites because it is a habit of the system (which is not focusing through the lens as with a SLR but through the windows on the front of the camera making the system more susceptible to strong headlight which lowers contrast). In the summer (when the sun is higher on the sky) this problem does not occur. So I guess this is only a point of concern when living north of Paris or Quebec (I am living in The Netherlands).

For the big picture: the G2 is a high quality, solidly built gem which requires a little get used to and with only a little flaw concerning the auto focus system.

Marc-paul

Marc-Paul,

thank you for the review, which I can second in general.
What kind of bag are you using for the full equipment? How do you carry the 21's finder?

As for the flat lens release button:
Check out these self-adhesive, definite and usually white plastic household buffers. They fit well upon the button and raise the pressure point so you do not have to stick your finger so deep in the camera any more <font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•

Till

Till,

I always carry around my stuff in a big suitcase that I have bought 20 years ago. When I go for a shoot I always carry the camera around my neck and have the lenses in my jacket pockets. In the summer (no pockets in my jacket if any at all) I have a rucksack with many pockets. I put the lenses in there as well as my other equipment (incident meter).

The 21's finder is always on my camera secured by a small piece of thick paper between the viewfinder foot and the hot shoe. The finder will not fall off accidentally and stays there (in fact it can hardly be removed; be carefull). Only on some very rare occasions when I carry around the camera with my 28/45 as a luxury p&S I remove the 21 finder. It is worth noting that I use the 21 more then 60% of the time.

THX for the tip about the lens release button.

Marc-paul

Marc-Paul,

I see the point that you keep the finder mounted since you are using the 21 so often.

Do you travel with all the 4 lenses?
The standard set I am used to is 28/45/90. Since the 21 is a newer friend, I am still not definite about when (and how) to carry it.
I feel that in the field 4 lenses are too much to carry, and again too much to choose from. Sometimes less can be more.
Maybe I should rebuy the 35 to build up 21/35/90? Or perhaps a T3, which adds extra versatility?
Any suggestions?

Till

I have all four lenses and they along with the TLA 200 strobe fit, albeit snugly, in the leather shoulder bag designed to carry the enite G-system.

But after using all four lenses, I've fallen a bit in love with the 21mm for those images calling for wide angle. If I were space constrained, the lens I'd probably leave at home would be the 28mm. Or, if I knew for sure that I'd not have a need for even a short telephoto image, I'd take the 21-28-45 combination. To save more space, I might leave the strobe at home as well, although it's quite light and doesn't really take up too much space.

Till,

I have done the same as you have probably done: first buy the 28/45/90 and later the 21. I found the 21 too expensive as I had at first planned to buy the 21/35/90. I switched to the 28 mm for price reasons. Regretted that and later on bought the 21.

The best outfit for travel is in my opinion still the 21/35/90. Since I have the 21 I hardly use the 28 any more. So I will probably buy the 35 later on and never use the 28/45 any more which I regret also.

So for to-be-users of the G-series: If you like wide-angle then save the pennies for the 21 of you will probably end up with some unused lenses late ron.

Marc-paul

Marc-paul,

21/35/90 gets my vote for best (most versatile)travel rig too. I also find that when I don't want to carry three lenses, the 21 and the zoom work well together, although one gives up considerable lens speed and the .5m close focus distance with the zoom.

On the topic of the 21 finder, I clip a small fleece drawstring bag to my neck strap to hold the finder when it's not in use, and keeps it at hand. I bought the sack at a backpacking store.

--Rick

Back