X3F files on iPad?

Finrod

anybody knows if the X3F Raw files (Sigma/Foveon) are supported by any application on the iPad? And in case they are, any idea... or even better have you personally tested how fast the iPad cpu actually is opening/processing my Sigma SD10 files?!? Thanks :)

tc95

Here are two viewers that I use for my Macs....I don't know if they will work for the iPad...but when I do get one...in the next 3 to 4 months I will let you know...:z04_photos:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Let me know if you find one...

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Finrod

thanks for the reply and the links. I use a Mac too, an "oldie" Power Mac G4 with a 1.4 GHz cpu. The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to get a new machine in the next couple of months, and I was wondering if I could get an iPad instead of a Mini... I'll probably just go with some X3F files to the local Apple Store when they'll have some iPads on dispaly and see what happens :)
I've also asked the same question on the apple.com forum but no reply...

tc95

Finrod....I would go with the Mini...there is still not a really good software application to edit RAW or JPG's on the iPad or iPhone...I have a couple of basic ones on my iPhone but they don't do anything like SPP or PS....

I know Adobe is working on an editor for the iPad but it is still probably a year out....and by then you can buy a faster iPad...:rolleyes:

If your just looking for something to view your files after you take the picture...the iPad should work...but I think a Windows Tablet PC would give you a little more versatility or an iBook....

I looked at the app store last night...and could not find any RAW viewers that will handle X3F files right now..

Finrod

yes, you're sure right the Mini is better for photo editing... I was wondering on the iPad mainly because I'm not going to dump the G4 and a Mini as small as it it still means I need to find space for another screen & keyboard, but if there's no "serious" application or anything opening X3F for another year I'll sure get the Mini... or I'll even have a look at Windows alternatives ;-)

tc95

Don't forget about the MacBook....I don't know what the prices are where you are at...but here you can buy a referbished MacBook for 849USD which is just a little more than a mini...

Apple.jpg

As far as Windows based...I would go with a Tablet Kiosk Sahara Slate or Net PC.....or a Fujitsu Stylistic...would be my two pics...both can run PS and SSP....

Good Luck...

Finrod

here (Italy) the Apple store is usually quite poor with refurbished stuff... but I haven't been looking for some time and it's worth cheking again ;-)
I'll have a look at the Fujitsu Stylistic and the other tablet, thanks

ombud

Sigma SPP is still a lot slower on a MAC compared to a Windows computer-don`t know why...
If you are looking for a Windows mobile notebook powerhouse in a robust shell it´s worth considering the lenovo thinkpads, esp. X61 (quite cheap now that they are expired models last ones wth a 4:3 screen!) and the X200/201 series.
All 12 inch bright matte ! screens with processors up to 3Ghz and many useful features for working on the road.

Arvo

In addition X200 tablet models should have IPS-like screen (actually AFFS, but this is not much worse) and thereby well suited to potographers. Just that price... :(

Finrod

thanks for the replies and sorry for being this late!
In the meantime I've decided I don't need this badly a mobile machine and got a Mac Mini instead ;-)
I still have to try how it works with x3f files... but I'm pretty sure it won't be worse than my 1.4 GHz Power Mac G4 ;-)