DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss and Canon 10D

Yes, this is also what I want to know. I found that some Taiwanese use Zeiss lenes on the Canon 300D and adaption is very well because of the improvement of 300D.

Here's an update regarding the C/Y adapter for the 10D.
This is from Stephen Gandy in two emails I received.

______
the adapter attaches to the lens, no set screw

the lens must be removed to remove the adapter
while you can change the adapter for each lens, you will lose some shots

better to have one adapter for each lens if you want to shoot quickly

Thanks,

Stephen

http://CameraQuest.com/frames/4saleReos.htm

______

Apparently the are no electrical connections made, no Depth of field preview, and works in stop down mode. He recommends an adapter for each lens. That's $175 for each lens which could get costly!

The Zeiss lenses are fantastic, but I 'm begining to think that's it's not worth the cost to use on the 10D. From what I've read only some of the Canon lenses could compare to the reproduction quality of Zeiss, and that leaves me hesitating to jump into Canon.

Man I wish Contax hadn't fallen down with their digital SLR. But you know as soon as we make a decision to purchase another manufacturer's digital SLR, Contax will arrive on the scene with a camera that can use our manual focus lenses!!

RickM

Seem very costly. Why design in such a way ?
Anyone know why lense must be removed before removing the adapter ? How hard is it to remove the adapter ?

thks

Guys, I'm not sure that Contax is thinking of producing T-mount digital SLR camera similar
to Aria. I think that they want everybody
to switch to this stupid N-mount???

Hi everyone!

I have used the Bob Shell and CameraQuest adaptors. They both work, but they are not perfect. With both adaptors, there is some slack - free play or movement of the lens when it is on the camera body i.e. it is not a snug/tight fit. With the Bob Shell adaptor, you have to screw it into the lens, which makes it extremely troublesome to attach and detach the adaptor. With the CameraQuest adaptor (which cost more) the locking pin does not lock the adaptor securely in place, so there is a risk that you may accidentally twist the lens off! You can also get a Zork adaptor, but they are a lot more expensive.

Is it worth the expense and the hassle? The short answer IMO is No. You will have to manually focus and meter/stop down the lens, so it takes a bit of time and getting used to. I have found the Zeiss lenses to have slightly better color balance, but some of the Canon lenses are really good (very sharp and contrasty) and the auto-focus and auto-metering works really well. However, if you already own some nice Zeiss lenses and don’t want to spend your money buying more/Canon lenses, then you should get the CameraQuest adaptor (as it’s quite easy to use it on different lenses) and try it for yourself.

I sold off my 2 Bob Shell adaptors but I am keeping my CameraQuest adaptor so I can still use my 2 favorite Zeiss lenses … the Distagon 21mm/2.8 and Planar 85mm/1.4. I am selling my Distagon 28mm/2.0. If you wish to see some of the pictures I took with my Zeiss lenses on the Canon 10D, please click on this link:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=376570

If you wish to see the pictures I took with my Canon lenses, please click on this link:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=414040

Cheers!

>Hi Bob,

I looked at your link and was very impressed w/ the shots w/ the CZ glass. Reminded me of Kodachrome slides. My question: The shots look very saturated. Is this a function of the Canon camera, the CZ glass, or post processing in Photoshop. Do you have any s&es using flash and a model????

Thanks,

Michael.

Bob, Thanks for sharing the adaptors info and your wonderful images. With your eye of composition, it really does not matter what lenses you use.

The 17-40 L glass appears to be very nice lens. I was told it seems to be better than the 16-35 L lens with half the cost (unless you need the extra f stop.)

Does anyone know if there is Zeiss N lenes adapter for the Canon body?

Albert.

> Albert, that is a great question and one that I have asked before ... does anybody know if the N-series Carl Zeiss lenses will fit on any other manufacturer's bodies via a custom lense adapter?

Thanks,

Michael.

Back