DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2 or Nikon F100

Thanks very much to all of you who responded to my original enquiry. I came very close to getting the G2, but in the end, I decided to stick with my existing Nikon F80 and get more Nikkor lenses, a better tripod and a good flash, not to mention a few filters I've been wanting. If I had more disposable income at present, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Contax G2 as my second, more portable system though. Thanks again.

I just returned from a photo shoot in the Southwest. Shot 150 rolls. I used my Contax G-2 and my Nikon and shot the same subjects. B&W in the Contax and color in the Nikon. Tripod on both. There is no comparison. My wife was using a hand held Olympus APS and it also out performed the Nikon. I would dump the Nikon but I want it for SLR close-ups and for long fl lenses.

Dave

Posted by Pierre Lachaine on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 6:25 pm: > > Thanks very much to all of you who responded to my original enquiry. I > came very close to getting the G2, but in the end, I decided to stick > with my existing Nikon F80 and get more Nikkor lenses, a better tripod > and a good flash, not to mention a few filters I've been wanting. If I > had more disposable income at present, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a > Contax G2 as my second, more portable system though. Thanks again.

Good decision, Pierre! I just read through this thread for the first time and wondered why you didn't like your F80. I have used the F80, F90, F100, G1, G2, Nx and N1 cameras. If you were to make a change at all, consider the NX with the lightweight 28-80 and 70-200 zooms. That way you will have the weight of the F80 with zeiss glass. By the way, we all struggle with trying to cover all 'real and imagined' photo opportunities and my current setup is the F100 with 70-200 VR (absolutely dynamite combo), F80 with 24-85 AFS, and Contax N1 with 24-85 for the 'zeiss' look. If only Contax would fix the flawed AF system, though. All the best, Phil

Phillip:

You are a great resource for me, since you are a combination Nikon and Contax user. I have a G2 (*love* the lens) and a Nikon F100. I wonder if I might ask you about the comparison of the Nikon zoom with the Zeiss zoom. Since this is off-topic, please someone let me know if we should move this to a different part of the forum.

Thanks.

One more thing.........the F100 beats the G2 for flash and action photography. Ambient light and street stuff is more for a G2 shooter. A friend still has his flash brand new in the box from God know's when. He's nebver ever used his TLA200 at all. IT's not his style.

I'm not sure why you say that the G2 wins in ambient light since its fastest lens is an f2 while you can get an f1.2 and f1.4 in Nikon. (I own an FM2 and the G2).

> Without mirror vibration the shutter speed of the G2 can be a bit lower than > an SLR before you will see blurring in the picture.

I've got the G2 & the F100. Both very different and unique cameras. I've used the G2 for studio flash with good results, but G2 on-camera flash forced me to select the Nikon F100. I now carry both cameras. For travel and scenics .. hard to beat a G2 with Zeiss glass.. I just love that camera. The F100 is used for serious portrait work, outdoor fill flash, etc. Nikon flash is definitely a superior system -- and with portraits, do you really want Zeiss sharpness and contrast?? Sometimes I do, but mostly I don't.

The F80 is a great camera, but my choice was to go with the F100 because I can use 1/3 stops for slide work. Keep your F80 - it is damn near a perfect camera.

I stressed a little bit over getting the F100 when the G2 seemed to be just so perfect in almost all shooting situations. So much so that I almost bought another G2 over the Nikon.

As for "orphaned systems" -- here's my take: All modern cameras have built in obsolescene. The more modern and computerized the camera, the greater the risk. Remember, those LCD's - well they have a limited lifespan and when they go, that modern marvel will be dead, and 10 years plus will mean parts are hard to find. If I was a camera "seller" I'd push you into every new technology available.. yes every two years I'd be telling you to upgrade, change cameras, promising you ever better results .. what nonsense!

Remember, why you want a G2 .. small, light weight, superior optics, relatively ease of use. It is just a damn fine camera. I consider it a camera for a discriminating photographer because while it limits shooting scenarios .. when used for what it is designed .. it is absolutely superior.

Keep your F80 .. but get the G2 - enjoy it for 10 years (that's really less than $100 a year to own it) and shoot lots of film -- this camera is a hands-down winner that is better than the photographer in many situations. I drool over my night shots of outdoor urban scenics all decorated with Christmas lights (downtown St. Louis)... taken with the G2 on a tripod .. during the coldest day of the year .. at 2AM .. no people ... just wonderful buildings and Christmas lights .. with the G2, I felt I had achieved the best photography I've ever done .. better than many of the postcards I'd seen taken of similar scenes. I've owned this G2 for a little over a year .. and I'm learning to appreciate this tool for what is was designed. If I broke it or lost it, I'd get another ... obsolescene be damned.

Marketplace?? I don't care about that, a camera is just a tool. I don't care what everybody else shoots .. hell, I hope they all go digital .. for me, I intend to take pictures, not buy/sell cameras, not spend hours tweeking photos on the computer .. (if that's your thing.. enjoy it).

But, that's me.. I still use my old Canon F1's, all three of them .. drive an older model Chevy Impala SS ... cause I like that Corvette engine .. and chase women over 35 .. becuase I like an experienced girl -- new models don't impress me much. (What was the question again??)

Flash.........G2 just does not cut it. Nikon's flash is superior. The G2 is an ambient light camera in that sense. The Nikon is nothing to sneeze about in ambient either. But sometimes I don't feel like carrying around the load at all. The whole G2 system fits into my winter coat with no problem at all.

Mike, I like the way you think. I like women over 35 as well. Especially since 35 for me was back in the early '90's. Secondly, I own a 1970 Cadillac. The street machine is a '96 Mercury. Idon't want the Caddy to suffer the effects of street life anymore. So it's in the garage and is used for about 3G a year.

Unless one has a need for long telephoto or macro lenses, it is hard to imagine choosing the Nikon over the G2. There is, IMHO, a substantial difference in image quality, and the G2 is much easier to carry and use. My N90s has not been out of the closet in nearly 3 years. I rarely use a flash, but when I do, I find that the TLA 140 or 360 do quite adequately, as long as I set exposure compensation at negative 1-1 2/3.

Back